Rick Schummer wrote:
> Ken,
>
>>> Using old-fashioned Fox, I do the expedient thing and create a unique
> index on *just that value* spin through the table, and populate the new
> structures.<<
>
> When you note "unique" indexes I have to think you are referring to the old
> 2.6 concept of unique indexes, not primary or candidate keys. It is by
> design and documented that the old unique indexes only record the first
> instance of an index and skip the other records that eventually are
> duplicates. FoxPro unique indexes are not.

That is exactly what I was trying to do -- use it in the old-fashioned
way. I was de-dupping a non-normalized table. (The old database had
addresses -- the same addresses -- in 3 places -- I'm trying to
eliminate the dups and create new PKs for the new tables. Yes, I know
what "unique" means in a FP context -- it isn't a primary or candidate key.

But f you look at my note again, it was *not* always selecting the
"first instance of an index and skip the other records" -- it selected
#91 and #93, but it skipped right over #92. I just wondered if anyone
else had experienced such a strange behavior.

OTOH, probably nobody (else) uses those old techniques any more.

Ken