Large brokerage firms like Goldman Sach, Merrill Lynch, Edwards Jones,
etc can make markets in offerings they handle, (eg IPO).  Although I
don't have the actual facts, I assume Goldman Sach did something like
the following.

Goldman Sach put together investment packages made up of mortgages they
acquired from various sources.  The mortgages in the investment package
was layered as to risk of default and shares in the investment package
were sold to the general public.  Those who brought into the higher risk
layers of the investment package got a higher return on their shares in
the investment package, and those that brought shares of stock in the
lower risk layers of the investment package received a lower return on
their investment.

The investment packages were thought to be safe; because, the mortgages
were collateralize by commercial and home real estate, which could be
repossessed and resold, if a mortgage defaulted.  Goldman Sachs had a
rating agency rank the investment package as AAA, (eh very strong
investment with low risk).

Some period of time after Goldman Sach sold the IPO in the investment
packages the real estate market and entire financial system began to
crater, so Goldman Sachs began selling shares in these investment
packagers short.

A short sale works something like this.  Suppose I have an account with
Edward Jones, and I wanted to sale share in the investment package
short; because, I'm very sure the shares in the investment company will
go down in price.  On 6/30/2008 I borrow 100 share of the investment
package from Edward Jones and sell them for $75.00 per share and have
$7,500 deposited into my Edward Jones account.  On 12/31/2008 I purchase
100 shares in the investment package for $10.00 per share and pay $1000
out of my account.  I have now covered my short by returning 100 shares
to Edward Jones, and the $6,500 cash still in my Edward Jones account is
profit.

If Goldman Sachs sold the investment package short some period of time
after it had completed selling of the POI in the investment package,
and only after it became clear that the real estate market was
experiencing a decline in value, its hard for me to place any blame on
them, even if they were the firm that initially made the market in the
stock; because, the share had been on the market and traded around for
some time before Goldman Sachs sold them short.  This would be true even
if Goldman Sach was the firm that made the IPO and made the initial
market in the stock of the investment package, and even through they
borrowed the shares from themselves, (eg other investors who had an
account with them and had purchased shares in the investment package).

Regards,

LelandJ