OK Dave  and Steve

I followed Dave's instructions, ie, use the cast function after the
filetostr function and

IT WORKED !!!

However, Steve, I have to inform you that of the four field types you
suggested, 3 work but one does not

field name     type                            result

wordfiles       varchar(MAX)         works OK
wordfiles1     nVarchar(MAX)       works OK
wordfiles2     varbinary                 does not work
wordfiles3     nText                       works OK

Now, how do I do the reverse, that is, retrieve the data from the SQL
Server fields using VFP, transform them back into Word documents and
show them to the user?

Rafael Copquin