Technically a router is nothing more than just another specialized
computer, and if the router is handing out the dynamic IPs, or even
static IPs based on MAC addresses, then it could be involved in the
problem.  Your man, or someone helping him, probably created a new
configuration on the computer, which defaults to a dynamic address.

Are we talking about a local LAN with LAN/WAN router acting as a
gateway, a local network connected to a router acting as a router
connecting two or more networks together, or a public network.  Some
router can probe the up-link of the network to obtain thier static WAN
IP address, usually assigned dynamically, and some networks require the
connecting router/computer to be issued a dynamic IP.  ISP like
dynamically assigned IPs, so they can recycle IPs as leases expire
without the need to add additional hardware.

Even in large, publically traded companies most computers have a local
IP that is connected to a switch, hub, or router/gateway; otherwise, we
would run out of Public IPs.

Regards,

LelandJ