On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Gary Jeurink <g.jeur...@charter.net> wrote:
> I am handicapped and somewhat homebound. I have learned what programming
> skills I have by reading the books you guys write. I am trying to learn
> php/mysql right now and have gotten stuck in the same area from two separate
> books. Uploading/files.

I've done a little work with php and mysql, but I haven't had to code
a routine to allow upload.

Let's not muddle the discussion threads too much. You might want to
start a new thread with that topic, since it's pretty far off the
original.

> The open source thing sounds like something I'd like to learn more about.

With Open Source, some developer somewhere creates an application to
solve his or her problem, and releases it under an Open Source license
for others to use, modify and pass on. Like the story of Stone Soup,
if each person contributes a little, the end result can be pretty
powerful. Or it can fall to pieces. Quality varies all over the place,
kind of like software from Microsoft ;)

The challenge can be finding the software you're looking for and
determining if it is sufficiently complete to meet your needs or if
you have the skills to add enough to it so that it does.

For example, a few months ago, a friend was looking for a software
solution to track parents and children in a sports league and their
dues or equivalent volunteer labor. Since every city and town has
kids' sports leagues, I was sure he could find something out there to
solve his problem. But the rules were specific enough that he ended up
writing his own solution, probably just tracking it in a spreadsheet
or database table.

A Google search for "Open Source gymnastics scoring program" first
brings up a Belgium-based Java solution whose license doesn't look
very open to me: free to use, but don't touch the code. Too bad. The
second's just a software download site with nothing useful. So, a
search might take a while.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC