Sometimes it is. PACK copies the non-deleted records in a new file, then
delete the original file and renames the new one. So technically it's a file
deletion operation, which can be recovered from disk using specialized
tools, such as the ones produced by http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/.

The degree of success may vary, though; the sooner the recovery process is
started, the greater chances of success. The reason is HDD reports the
sectors where the original file was stored as free and they are overwritten
sooner or later. Once overwritten, the recovery will fail. As far as I know,
there are tools which can recover data from overwritten sectors (this is why
utilities that wipe the content of a harddisk do multiple overwrites on same
sectors), but I have never seen such a thing. And I believe they're not as
successful as they say though.

Sometimes