On 4/11/2011 5:14 AM, Dave Crozier wrote:
> English Electric KDF9 with Algol 60 here.... punched tape, then cards came
> in!! Assembler based on Octal numbering system. 32K of 48bit storage,
> equating to 192Kb for use by ALL the university!!!
>
> Happy days.
>
> Dave

Oh, well, when I said S-100 bus in 1980, I was only describing my entry
into personal computers.

The real beginning was 1959, on the Q-7 - military version of an IBM 501
used for the SAGE Air Defense system.  At that time there were said to
be 300 programmers in the US, half of whom were working on SAGE.

Everything in assembler, needless to say, and on punched cards.

Dan