Our two servers are 3 1/2 years old, out of warranty, and the main server
75% full.

I was wondering if I should start to get concerned about the life span of
these servers.

They both have developed some quirks, but are not showing any specific
behavior to make me thing they might fail in the immediate future.

Server 1:

The first server is used for most of our day to day business applications.
We do not run Exchange as we use Rackspace to host our email.

HP Proliant ML350 G5, Win 2003 SP2, 4 x Intel Pentium III Xeon, 3 GB RAM,
2.67 GHz

It's showing 32.4 GB free out of 136GB, and has 5 drives, (2) - HP36GB SAS
Hard drives and (3) - HP72GB Hot Plug.

Server 2:

This server is now used to run the document imaging software "Docuware", and
terminal services for the few users that remote in occasionally (5 users at
the most).

HP Proliant ML310  G5, Win 2003 R2 SP2, 2 x Intel Xeon, 3.4 GB Ram, 2.67 GHz

It has 147 GB free out of 180 GB, and has (4) - HP72GB drives with no space
bays.

I have analyzed the data on the first server, and it looks like a certain
amount is static and not critical to day to day operations.

This type of data (pictures, videos, user's folders) could possibly be moved
to some kind of storage device attached to the network, or the moved to the
second server.

Or, is it possible to buy more Hot Plug drives. There are three empty bays
in the case.

Or, since these two servers are getting some age, should we look into one
new server.

I guess what I am mainly concerned about, other than the first server
getting full, is the age factor.  I can't seem to find a straight answer to
the MTBF for these servers...

James E Harvey
Corresponding Officer/M.I.S.
Hanover Shoe Farms, Inc.