There's always one in a group isn't there :)

I'd would say that the specs suggest that the period is added so that the case
of '.a' wouldn't come up as the only two letter arguments allowable end in a
period. Subject to interpretation, I'd call it a feature :)

By the way, I picked some low hanging fruit and reduced to 50 by appending [
and removing the outer most brackets

It may be familiarity but I find this current version much easier to read than
some of the others (including my iterations :) )

Cheers, bob

ps. I really enjoyed reading your presentation at the J conference.
http://www.jsoftware.com/jwiki/Community/Conference2012#Schedule