> Is this a blessing or a curse?

If you are a fan, it's a blessing; if not, it's a curse.  Ken told me that
he was sometimes accused of including this or that primitive specifically
for particular problems (and that's why the notation does so well on those
problems).  But when the accusation was leveled in problem after problem he
came to ignore it.