That sounds about right.

The big caution I would place on interpreting these results is: "This
won't necessarily apply for games implemented in J for Linux, where I
intend to rely on the SDL and byte-per-pixel graphics layouts.
Nonetheless, I retain the logic here, since it's representative of a
real-world design decision which directly influences performance on
the slower Kestrel architecture."

If J is to perform well when applied in suboptimal fashion we'll need
some way of representing the code which strips out a lot of the
functionality (type checks, size checks, rank handling, maybe even
overflow handling?), at least for the time-critical routines. (As much
as possible, hoisting redundant operations out of primitives used in
bottleneck loops.)

Thanks,

--
Raul