On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Dan Bron <j...@bron.us> wrote:
> So, the question still stands: are there "reduction" or "moving window" or
> "running" analogs to the bitwise functions provided by b. ?  Given the
> direction this thread has taken, I'm guessing not, but I'd be happy to be
> proven wrong.

I am not aware of any good ones.

But of course it's possible to implement #: (or b.) in J using other primitives.

Now, if we had a compiler for a subset of J (ideally using an ML type
system, or something along that line) we could get into more
complexity in that context.

So with that in mind, here's "bitwise and" implemented using #:

band=: *. Bitwise         NB. 17 b. without the constraint on integer size

   band/~ i. 4
0 0 0 0
0 1 0 1
0 0 2 2