Thanks for the help, Mr. Tirrell.

Does JDB have a way to declare the length of the char column?

I've gone through the JDB doc and sample code carefully and can't find
any indication of how to declare the length of the char column.

I've run a few experiments and can't get a JDB database table which
consists of only one char column to accept anything but a single
character in each insert.

Here's the code:

NB. Create a table with only a single char column
Create__db 'tblA';0 : 0
c1 char
)
NB. Insert a single character
Insert__db 'tblA';'a'
Insert__db 'tblA';'b'
Insert__db 'tblA';'c'
NB. works fine, no problem

NB. Define another table with a single char column
Create__db 'tblB';0 : 0
c1 char
)
NB. Insert a string of characters
Insert__db 'tblB';'aaaaaaa'

|assertion failure: validate
|   1=#~.(#@".)&>'active';Tcolmap

To summarize: I can't find any doc that outlines how to construct a
table with a single char column  that  accepts multiple characters.
Nor can I find any code samples. Various small experiments have failed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
--chris--