Thanks Eric. It strictly answers my question.

My question was really a policy issue, which I wanted to know for
releasing cross-platform utilities. I'm in the throes of porting a
raft of utilities j6-->j7.

The same goes for my recent questions concerning wd'beep' and
wd'clipcopy "..."' . I can fudge these for now (on the Mac platform).
I'm not really pushing for limited j7 support for 11!:0 . You could
say that's best supported either completely or not at all.

I find I'm using runimmx1_jijs_ in more places than I remember. It's
really quite useful (albeit in more generalised kinds of code). My
"band-aid" -- which creates a vestigial jijs locale in j7 -- will have
to be replaced sometime, if only because it looks so crass. The
question is, with what?

I guess I'll just sit tight and defer my choice. The best answer, I
predict, will be by using a (yet-to-be-written) addon.

If javascript is the answer to wd'beep' (and indeed many if not all
jwd features) then will it be possible to distribute javascript using
the Package Manager? (I guess it's possible now -- but I await the
emergence of conventions).