Brian,

Yes, updating JHS from pacman. The installation I was whining about (an
earlier message confessed my blindness) is on a nice Linux/Ubuntu server
-- 8 Gbytes with i7 quadcore processor - that is actually available on
the net (but I'm not advertising that ....)

I wouldn't mind other people using it, but  I would need to dive into
jum to do that and haven't taken that plunge yet...

One of the purposes of all my messing about is to be able to use J on my
iPad (I, like Eric, am a big fan of the iPad) - I don't make my iMac
visible to the net, but that would work too. My "primary workstation" is
a 27" i7 iMac (that I love, but it isn't very portable.... :)

On the iMac, I mainly use Terminal for j stuff, and most of that is on
various Linux servers. Some of the Linux applications generate HTML for
"user friendly" interfaces (things like picture albums, and some
business inventory control and accounting stuff). For example, I
haven't tried to run JHS on my iMac at all... That would make the
graphic performance a lot better!

I'm convinced that the canvas approach that has just become available is
a good one for j7. On the other hand, it does generate some pretty big
files ... e.g. Devon's favorite BM  ( +/~ 1 o. i: 6j99  ) ((try typing
that on your iPad .... sigh)) generated

-rw-r--r-- 1 jum jum 2497533 2011-12-03 13:58 plot.html

which works OK for my internal network, but would put quite a load on my
net access. But it is very nice that it is possible - and graphics
should probably be done on local processors anyway.

- joey