Hi Alexander,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to discuss a side-comment about
"Marc-Based JSONs" you made on a different thread ("A propos de
Z39.50". Starting a new thread as I am deviating from the original
topic):

On 09/20/2012 08:05 AM, Alexander Wagner wrote:
> We are currently using this in our websubmit autofill functions, if it's
> of any help we could pretty quickly drop that to another user.
>
> However, due to it's history this is one of our Perl backends and I
> didn't implement it compeltely generic but for PICA systems. It works
> well, heavily tested with the GVK Union Catalogue in Göttingen. Spitting
> out nice Marc-Based JSONs. (Could even be hooked up as a CGI or via our
> gateway module.)

How does this MARC JSON looks like? How "nice" is it?

Internally we have been briefly musing about the various ways to encode
MARC in JSON. It would be interesting to know which path you have
chosen.

For the record here are some possibilities explored:

 1.
<http://dilettantes.code4lib.org/blog/2010/09/a-proposal-to-serialize-marc-in-json/>
     (contains some discussion on the various alternatives)

 2. <http://www.oclc.org/developer/content/marc-json-draft-2010-03-11>

 3.
<http://dilettantes.code4lib.org/blog/2010/09/a-proposal-to-serialize-marc-in-json/>
    ("Deprecated")

 4. Libray of Congress added some JSON export of their photos cataloged
    in MARC, but do not seem to have released any spec:
    <http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2008660390/marc/?fo=json&at=marc>
    They also have this hybrid output:
    <http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ggb2004008550/marc/?fo=json>
    <http://phenotypical.com/library-of-congress-prints-photos-goes-json>

 5. Various more "user-friendly" alternatives, using labels instead of
    MARC codes.

There have been some (old) prototype for a JSON export in Invenio here:
<http://invenio-software.org/repo/personal/invenio-jerome/commit/?h=bibformat-json-output&id=ac8c8d3c3c8e5d45274b0ba83af784009089ff37>

Some might have already been a bit further than the above attempt.

We might also ask the "users" mailing list for the preferred type of
JSON output.

Best regards
--
Jerome Caffaro