'To be worthy of the God we worship'

In a landmark speech at Al-Azhar Mosque last week, the Archbishop of
Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, boldly addressed some of the most
delicate issues in Christian and Muslim theology. Below is the text of
his speech

I am very deeply moved by the honour of being invited to address you
in this place, as a guest and, I hope, as a friend. It is some 25
years since I first visited this great city and Al-Azhar Mosque; and I
can remember my wonder and delight at the quality of its buildings and
the atmosphere of dedication and calm reflection expressed in the very
stones of the walls.

I am here as a Christian, to speak to you of some of those matters
which both unite us and divide us. In the world as it is now
developing, it is of the most central importance that we as Christians
and Muslims understand one another better. I am delighted at the
continuing commitment to this process that has been shown here, a
commitment evident in these last few days. And better understanding
means understanding our differences as well as our common vision. In
these few remarks, I want to meditate a little on the greatest theme
of both Muslim and Christian faith, the doctrine of God; and I want to
suggest how, despite some of our differences, we can, in the light of
our belief about Almighty God, together make certain affirmations to
the world about the way to peace and justice for human beings.

If I understand the doctrine of Islam correctly, its most important
conviction can be expressed in the word tawhid. God is one. No being
is associated with God as a second reality deserving of worship and
obedience. God has no need of any being outside his own eternal and
self-sufficient life. In these words, I do no more than repeat some of
the most luminous and uncompromising words of the Qur'an, which I give
in the new translation by Muhammad Abdel-Haleem.

"God: there is no god but Him, the Ever
Living, the Ever Watchful" ( Al-Baqara 255)

"He is God the One, God the eternal,
He fathered no one, nor was he fathered.
No one is comparable to Him." ( Al-'Ikhlaas 1-4)

This last text reminds the Christian that this great affirmation of
the uniqueness of God is what has always caused Muslims to look with
suspicion at Christian doctrines of God.

Christian belief about God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit appears at
once to compromise the belief that God has no other being associated
with him. How can we call God Al-Qayyuum, the Self-sufficient, if he
is not alone? So we hear in Al-Baqara 115-117:

"The East and the West belong to God!
Wherever you turn, there is His Face.
God is all pervading and all knowing.
They have asserted, 'God has a child'

May He be exalted! No! Everything in the heavens and earth belongs to
Him, everything devoutly obeys His will.

He is the Originator of the heavens and the earth, and when He
decrees something, He says only 'Be', and it is."

The belief that God could have a son is, for the faithful Muslim, a
belief suggesting that God needs something other than himself and is
subject to the processes of limited bodies by "begetting" a child. How
can such a God be truly free and sovereign? For we know that he is
able to bring the world into being by his word alone.

Yet these anxieties do not belong only to Muslims. Egypt was, in the
first centuries of the Christian era, the location of great debates on
just such matters. Indeed, without the contribution of Egypt,
Christian theology would have been infinitely poorer, for many of the
greatest minds of that period were natives of Alexandria. And one of
the great concerns of these thinkers and their successors was this: if
Christians say that the eternal Word and power of God was fully
present in Jesus, son of Mary, can we avoid saying this in such a way
as to imply that God is subject to a physical process, or that God has
a second being alongside him? These Christian sages believed as
strongly as any Muslim that God was self- sufficient and free, and
that he could not be affected or limited by physical processes and did
not act as a physical cause among others. They say quite explicitly
that when we speak of the father "begetting" the Son, we must put out
of our minds any suggestion that this is a physical thing, a process
like the processes of the world.

Those Christian thinkers and their successors developed a doctrine
which tried to clarify this, they said that the name "God" is not the
name of a person like a human person, a limited being with a father
and mother and a place that they inhabit within the world. "God" is
the name of a kind of life -- eternal and self-sufficient life, always
active, needing nothing. And that life is lived eternally in three
ways which are made known to us in the history of God's revelation to
the Hebrew people and in the life of Jesus. There is a source of life,
an expression of life and a sharing of life. In human language we say,
"Father, Son and Holy Spirit", but we do not mean one God with two
beings alongside him, or three gods of limited power. Just as we say,
"Here is my hand, and these are the actions my one hand performs', but
it is not different from the actions of my five fingers, so with God,
this is God, the One, the Living and Self- subsistent, but what God
does is not different from the life which is eternally at the same
time a source and an expression and a sharing of life. Since God's
life is always an intelligent and purposeful life, each of these
dimensions of divine life can be thought of as a centre of mind and
love, but this does not mean that God "contains" three different
individuals, separate from each other as human individuals are.

And Christians believe that this life enters into ours in a limited
degree. When God takes away our evildoing and our guilt, when he
forgives us and sets us free, he breathes new life into us, as he
breathed life into Adam at the first. That breathing into us we call
the "Spirit". As we become mature in our new life, we become more and
more like the expression of divine life, the Word whom we encounter in
Jesus. Because Jesus prayed to the source of his life as "Father", we
call the eternal expression of God's life the "Son". And so too we
pray to the source of divine life in the way that Jesus taught us, and
we say "Father" to this divine reality.

But in no way does the true Christian say that the life and action of
God could be divided into separate parts, as if it were a material
thing. In no way does the true Christian say that there is more than
one God or that God needs some other in order to act or that God
promotes some other being to share his glory. There is one divine
action, one divine will; yet (like the fingers of the hand) there are
three ways in which that life is real, and it is only in those three
ways that the divine life is real -- as source and expression and
sharing. It is because of those three ways in which divine life exists
that Christians speak as they do about what it means to grow in
holiness.

And the Christian also says something which may again be a source of
disagreement. God is a loving God, as we all agree; but, says the
Christian, God does not love simply because he decides to love. He is
always, eternally, loving. His very nature, his definition is love.
And the interaction and relation between the three ways in which God
lives, the source and the expression and the sharing, is eternally the
way God exists. The three centres of divine action, which we call
Father, Son and Spirit, pour out the divine life to each other for all
eternity, a sort of perfect circle of giving and receiving. And the
only word we can use for that relationship of pouring out and giving
is love. So as we grow in holiness, we become closer and closer in our
actions and thoughts to the complete self-giving that always exists
perfectly in God's life. Towards this fullness we are all called to
travel and grow.

Now these are difficult matters, and the greatest minds of the
Christian Church have always found them hard to put into words. But
what I wish to say to you today is simply that the disagreement
between Christian and Muslim is not, I believe, a disagreement about
the nature of God as One and Living and Self-subsistent. For us as for
you, it is essential to think of God as a life that has no limit, as a
life that is free. God is never to be listed alongside other beings.
All through the centuries that we call the Middle Ages, Christians,
Muslims and Jews thought alike about this, and our greatest
philosophers: Thomas Aquinas, Ibn Sina, Maimonides and others, all
worked to make this clear. They would all have agreed that only if God
is alone and needs no other is he worthy of our complete worship and
devotion. God is not a being who is like us, only greater and more
powerful. If God were like us only much greater, we might worship him
out of fear instead of giving him free obedience and love. But the
true God's freedom is infinite and he can never be limited by any
definition. When we have used up all the names that human language can
find for him, we shall have spoken true things of him, but never
expressed the whole truth which is hidden from created minds. And so
we adore him in trust and thankfulness but we accept that we shall
never have him in our grasp.

Together we can acknowledge these things. And it is sad that
sometimes an unfaithful or careless Christian way of speaking has led
Muslims and Jews to believe that we have a doctrine of God that does
not recognise the oneness and sufficiency of God, or that we worship
something less than the One, the Eternal. In our conversations with
Muslim friends, we Christians are rightly challenged to think more
deeply, to think as our Egyptian Christian fathers did, about the
unity of Almighty God.

But there is a practical consequence of this belief about the One
Living God. If God is truly not a part of the world, truly self-
sufficient, then his will never depends upon how things turn out in
the world. We cannot work out what is just and good simply from what
seems to work, from what the world finds successful or easy or
popular. What is good and just is rooted in eternal truth, in the
nature of God, who is what he is quite independently of what the world
is and what the world thinks. The world may tell us that we should
behave in such and such a way -- that we should seek only to make and
keep money, that we should break our promises, that we should take
revenge and show no mercy, that we should take our pleasures where we
like. Sometimes behaviour of this sort seems to bring success in the
world. But the believer knows that no amount of worldly success can
make bad things good, because nothing in the world can change the will
of God, who is beyond all change and cannot be affected or weakened by
any other being. So we hold to our calling to virtue and generosity
and justice whatever may happen, even if, today and tomorrow, it does
not make our life easy and comfortable. We struggle in our interior,
spiritual battle, to be faithful to God's will.

The greatest challenge today for our world is how to react to
circumstances in a way that is faithful to God's will. Undoubtedly,
greed and revenge affect all of us. We feel that we want to defend
ourselves in the way that a person without faith or hope or love would
understand -- in anger and bitterness and unforgiving cruelty. But
when we act in such a way, we show that we do not really believe in a
God who is living and self- sufficient. We do not believe that God's
will is enough; we act as though the circumstances of this world could
so change things that cruelty and fear could become the right tools
with which to defend ourselves.

So when the Christian, the Muslim or the Jew sees his neighbour of
another faith following the ways of this world instead of the peaceful
will of God, he must remind his neighbour of the nature of the one God
we look to, whose will cannot be changed and who will himself see that
justice is done. Once we let go of justice, fairness and respect in
our dealings with one another, we have dishonoured God as well as
human beings. I am deeply grateful that it was once again in this
country that Jewish, Christian and Muslim leaders from the Holy Land
under the co- chairmanship of the Grand Imam, Dr Tantawi, signed the
Alexandria Declaration together, with its commitment to respect for
the rights of the peoples of the Holy Land, its call for justice and
its refusal of terror and violence. How much we still need that vision
to inspire us today, as the tragedies of this region of the world
continue to resist settlement!

There is no doubt that the present violence throws a deep shadow over
conversations between the West and the Muslim world. Three years ago
today, I was one of those who shared just a little in the terrible
experience of the events in New York. I was in a building just a short
distance from the World Trade Center that morning, and for a while I
and my colleagues were trapped there; we were among those fortunate
enough to be able to get out of the area just as the second tower
collapsed, and we saw at first hand something of the nightmare and the
suffering of that day.

On the day after, I was asked by a journalist for some of my
reactions. I said that when someone spoke to us in the language of
hatred or abuse, we had a choice about what language we might use to
reply. So when someone "spoke" to us in violence and murder, we could
choose what we should do. We may rightly want to defend ourselves and
one another -- our people, our families, the weak and vulnerable among
us. But we are not forced to act in revengeful ways, holding up a
mirror to the terrible acts done to us. If we do act in the same way
as our enemies, we imprison ourselves in their anger, their evil. And
we fail to show our belief in the living God who always requires of us
justice and goodness.

So whenever a Muslim, a Christian or a Jew refuses to act in violent
revenge, creating terror and threatening or killing the innocent, that
person bears witness to the true God. They have stepped outside the
way the faithless world thinks. A person without faith, hope and love
may say, If I do not use indiscriminate violence and terror, there is
no safety for me. The believer says, My safety is with God, whose
justice can never be defeated. If I defend myself, I seek to do so
only in a way that honours God and God's image in others, and that
does not offend against God's justice. To seek to find reconciliation,
to refuse revenge and the killing of the innocent, this is a form of
adoration towards the One Living and Almighty God.

This is why it is important to be clear about the God we worship.
There is, as you will have seen, a great difference between what I as
a Christian must say and what the Muslim will say; but we agree
absolutely that God has no need of any other being, and that God is
not a mixture or a society of different beings. And if we are
committed to this God, we shall be able to do justice and act rightly
even when the world around us expects us to follow its own violent
ways.

And just as I have said that Christians have sometimes spoken
carelessly about God and led others to think they believe less than
they truly do, so all of us, Jews, Muslims and Christians, have
sometimes spoken carelessly and let people think that we live by the
same standards as those who have no faith or love, appearing to
encourage violence and terror. If we look back to the Alexandria
Declaration, we see how it is possible for all of us, in the light of
our conviction about God, to be committed to something different from
the world's ways; there we find a promise to approach each other with
respect and patience and to turn away from open battle, even when we
feel threatened by each other. There too we find the common commitment
not to use the name of God to justify violence and injustice. It has
been impressive to hear in recent days the strength and clarity with
which so many Muslim nations and Muslim leaders have condemned the
unspeakable atrocities in Beslan. The common commitment of Muslims and
Christians, as of all people of compassion, hope and intelligence, is
not for a moment in doubt in this context.

In our own country, we have recently conducted a process in which
Muslims and Christians together have listened to the concerns and
hopes of many local communities, and we are now hoping to set up a
national forum in which the anxieties of Muslim communities may be
expressed and freely discussed. And we have also been discussing how
each of the religious communities in Britain should react when any one
of them is under threat or open attack -- so that we hope a Christian
community will give support to local Muslims if a mosque is attacked,
and Muslims may do the same for local Jews if a synagogue is attacked
or a cemetery desecrated, and Muslims and Jews will stand alongside
Christians when they are abused and attacked. We pray that this
willingness to stand alongside each other will be shared in other
nations.

We believe that in such local ways we can, despite our disagreements,
show to the world a different standard of behaviour, one that is
worthy of the all-powerful and self-sufficient God we worship, worthy
of him in a way that crusades and terrorism and oppression are not.
All of us need to be able to repent before God for our errors and for
the ways in which we are enslaved by a greedy and fearful world. But
as our Christian scriptures say, we must not be conformed to this
world but transformed, with our minds renewed ( Romans 12.2)

If we truly understand the nature of our God, our minds will be
renewed. We do not only teach truths about God, we allow those truths
to change our lives. May we all find the strength and the courage from
Almighty God to honour him by seeking peace together in fairness and
respect and thanksgiving for each other.

"To be one of those who believe and urge one another to steadfastness
and compassion" ( Al- Balad 17)

And as Jesus says in our own Christian Scriptures,
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
For they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they will be called children of God.
( Matthew 5,6-7, 9)

"[W]henever a Muslim, a Christian or a Jew refuses to act in violent
revenge, creating terror and threatening or killing the innocent, that
person bears witness to the true God"

© Copyright Al-Ahram Weekly. All rights reserved

Al-Ahram Weekly Online : Located at:
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/709/focus.htm

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM