Yes, men and women have different abilities
 Charles Murray The New York Times Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Sex education at Harvard

WASHINGTON Forty-six years ago, in "The Two Cultures," C.P. Snow warned of the
dangers when communication breaks down between the sciences and the humanities.
.
The reaction to remarks by Lawrence Summers, the president of Harvard, about
the differences between men and women was yet another sign of a breakdown that
takes Snow's worries to a new level: the wholesale denial that certain bodies
of scientific knowledge exist.
.
Summers' comments, at a supposedly off-the-record gathering, were mild. He
offered, as an interesting though unproved possibility, that innate sex
differences might explain why so few women are on science and engineering
faculties, and he told a story about how nature seemed to trump nurture in his
own daughter.
.
To judge from the subsequent furor, one might conclude that Summers was
advancing a radical idea backed only by personal anecdotes and a fringe of
cranks. In truth, it's the other way around. If you were to query all the
scholars who deal professionally with data about the cognitive repertoires of
men and women, all but a fringe would accept that the sexes are different, and
that genes are clearly implicated.
.
How our genetic makeup is implicated remains largely unknown, but our
geneticists and neuroscientists are doing a great deal of work to unravel the
story. When David Geary's landmark book "Male, Female: The Evolution of Human
Sex Differences" was published in 1998, the bibliography of technical articles
ran to 52 pages - and that was seven years ago. Hundreds if not thousands of
articles have been published since.
.
This scholarship shows a notable imbalance, however. Scholarship on the
environmental sources of male-female differences tends to be stale (wade
through a recent assessment of 172 studies of gender differences in parenting
involving 28,000 children, and you will discover that two-thirds of the boys
were discouraged from playing with dolls - but were nurtured pretty much the
same as girls in every other way); but scholarship about innate male-female
differences has the vibrancy and excitement of an important new field gaining
momentum. A recent example is "The Essential Difference," published in 2003 by
Simon Baron-Cohen of Cambridge University, which presents a grand unified
theory of male and female cognition that may well be a historic breakthrough.
.
"Exciting" is the right word for this work, not "threatening." We may not know
the answers yet, but they will be more interesting than, say, a discrete gene
for science that clicks on for men differently than it does for women. Rather,
it will be a story of the interaction of many male and female genetic
differences, and the way a person's environment affects those differences. Few
of the answers will lend themselves to simplistic verdicts of "males are
better" or vice versa. For every finding favoring males, there will be another
favoring females.
.
Some people will find the results threatening because they find any group
differences threatening, but such fears will be misplaced. We may find that
innate differences give men, as a group, an edge over women, as a group, in
producing, say, terrific mathematicians. But knowing that fact about the group
difference will not change another fact: that some women are terrific
mathematicians. The proportions of men and women mathematicians may never be
equal, but who cares? What's important is that all women with the potential to
become terrific mathematicians have full opportunity to do so.
.
Of course, new knowledge will not be without costs. Perhaps knowing that there
is a group difference will discourage some women from even trying to become
mathematicians or engineers or circus clowns. We - scientists, parents,
educators, employers - must do everything we can to prevent such unwarranted
reactions. And the best way to do that is to put the individual's abilities,
not group membership, at the center of our attention.
.
Against the cost of the new knowledge is the far greater cost of obliviousness,
which can lead us to pursue policies that try to make society conform to
expectations that conflict with what human beings really are. In the study of
gender, large and growing bodies of good science are helping us understand
human abilities. It is time to accept their existence, their seriousness and
their legitimacy.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/uTGrlB/TM