Refl: Bagaimana dengan misi Dr Habibie, mantan presiden NKRI, yang diberi tugas
istimewa oleh SBY untuk menyelamatkan TKW dari hukuman mati di Arab Saudia.
Tidak ada berita selain Habibie menyerahkan riwayat hidupnya kepada pangeran
Alaweed. Sudah hampir satu bulan lamanya misinya itu, belum ada khabar jelas
hasilnya. Apakah masih terus berunding ataukah gagal misi tsb dalam arti tidak
diharaukan oleh pemerintah Arab Saudia?

Tentu saja seperti berita di bawah ini bahwa gangster dan pengatara
mengexploatasi TKW. Tetapi, barangkali juga tidak boleh dilupakan bahwa
pemerintah NKRI juga mempunyai peranan istimewa sebagai sponsor “legal human
trafficking” untuk mengirim berbondong tenaga kerja tanpa perlindungan hukum
sepatutnya, demi untuk mengurangangi tekanan pengangguran terhadap beleid
politik penenpatan tenaga kerja dalam negeri dan pada juga pada lain pihak
untuk mendapat tambahan devisa, TKW/TKI dengan bangga oleh penguasa rezim
diberi gelar pahlawan devisa selama ini (kurang lebih 40 tahun).

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article565952.ece
Gangs and middlemen exploit market of hiring housemaids

Many maids come without knowledge or experience and they are asked to pretend
that they had this knowledge and experience and show good manners in the first
three months.

By ALI BLUWI | ARAB NEWS

Published: Jan 20, 2012 23:30 Updated: Jan 20, 2012 23:30

RIYADH: After years of refusing to consider having a maid in my house, I
finally gave in. I hired a maid after I did what was possible to avoid this
choice for several reasons. First, I do not know this new human being and would
find it hard to accept her as part of my household. Second, I do not like
injustice and tyranny to be inflicted on myself; therefore it is equally
difficult for me to accept it when it touches others. That said, I had to give
in. I tried my best to be accurate and lucky in my choices. At the beginning, I
naively thought that the market is economic and based on service for a service.
I thought that those maids coming from Asia were looking for two things. First,
to find families that are fair; and second, to receive their wages in full.

Yet, this rosy picture faded away when I made the first mistake. The employment
office was not able to transfer the sponsorship quickly enough after I paid in
full all required amounts of money and even more. The owner of the office used
different reasons for this slowdown. After he realized that I might file a
complaint against him he tried to blackmail me. He said that he would file a
complaint claiming I had hosted a fleeing maid! It is then when I felt let
down. Luckily enough, one lawyer was aware of these kinds of fraud offices.
This took place before employment offices became monitored. Furthermore, the
lawyer told me that many maids came from Asia without knowledge or experience.
They are asked to pretend that they had this knowledge and experience and show
good manners in the first three months. This three-month trial period is
important because during this period the employment office is accountable and
after that it is the responsibility of the hosting family. I asked how this
could happen especially when states deal with each other according to
agreements. Also embassies are there! Yet some are good at being fraudulent.
Furthermore, the cost of hiring a maid through these offices is extremely high
and it would be much better if we are allowed to hire maids directly. The
lawyer called the employment office and he managed to verify his identity. This
office deals with fleeing maids. He said the market of maids is spread not only
in the Gulf but also in Asia. Many maids lose their organs in these countries
because of their dealing with fraudulent gangs.

Despite all strict procedures, this phenomenon is not coming to an end easily.
Some maids are asked to stay for four months and then ask for permission to
travel to see their families. When they fail to show up again, the employment
office has a legal argument that its responsibility is limited to the first
three months, the trial period. What happens to the maid that pushes her to
change entirely after this period? Losses are high, the office takes all of its
fees but the family suffers financially alone. According to studies, the losses
of Saudi families due to the phenomenon of maids fleeing have surpassed SR50
million annually. The problem lies in the fact that there is no official body
to protect the rights of the maid and the family alike. The Ministry of Labor
has set new regulations such as forming big employment offices to work
according to certain regulations. Yet, this will not end the phenomenon of
fleeing maids that is seen as a parallel lucrative market.

One of the owners of an employment office told Arab News that the problem was
not in the official procedures nor in the certified employment offices, but in
the mock offices that have been working in an illegal and illegitimate way.
This is true with Asian employment offices. Some of these Asian offices
encourage the maids to run away to get more money. These Asian offices plant
some agents in mock offices that are spread in the Gulf countries. Maids are
provided with the phone numbers of new middlemen to facilitate their fleeing. A
Saudi citizen said that he hired an African maid but she fled after one week.
He informed the office and she was returned by the office. He agreed with the
office to replace her with another one. The office promised to get another maid
within 45 days. But it turned out that the office was employing the maid to
work on a daily basis or on an hourly basis. But finally she was caught. The
irony is that she was allowed to come into the country on his name, so this
Saudi citizen is legally responsible and she was whisked back to her country on
his expense!

A friend said that he hired a man from Asia. He proved to be good during the
first few months to the extent that he was entrusted to deposit checks and
money in banks. But after mingling with some Asian cab drivers, he began to
exhibit different behavior. When he was asked to deposit around SR20,000, he
went to the bank, but later he phoned saying that he was cleaning the car and
was doing some maintenance services and that he would be back by afternoon. A
while later, the police called the Saudi citizen telling him that his car was
in a wrong parking position at the airport. The police had to tow it. It turned
out that the driver has fled the country. Before that, he had asked for his
passport for the sake of his own embassy. But he managed to run away and leave
the country before the introduction of the optical system that indeed limited
the possibility of fleeing. Three months after that, the Saudi citizen saw his
former driver in a shopping mall. He chased him but it turned out that the
former driver has already changed his passport and name altogether. The story
with the Saudi citizen continued. He had to look for another driver. He was
told that there was an office in one of the neighborhoods that could secure him
a driver. He went there and the office asked for SR2,000 a month for the
driver. The Saudi citizen had to accept this arrangement until he could find
another one. But it turned out that this driver was also a fleeing one! It also
turned out that he only received SR1,200 and the rest goes to the office.

One of the residents in Saudi Arabia, Salem Al-Taher, emphasized that he wanted
to hire a Philippine maid provided that she knows English to help his children
learn the language. He was told that as a resident, he did not have the right
to bring a maid from Asia but this problem could be solved by transferring the
sponsorship to his name. Al-Taher said his wife and he talked to one of the
maids frankly about the nature of work. They are a small family with three
children, the oldest being eight years. After one night, the maid said that she
wanted to go back to the office. The moment that they arrived at the office,
she tried to flee but she was caught and handed over to the embassy. But there
are those who said that the moment a maid arrives in the embassy, she is given
a new passport to travel or transferred to work somewhere else.

Owners of employment offices defend themselves by saying that their legal task
ends after the three months trial period. They argue that abusing them or not
paying them in full forces them to run away. They said that there was a need to
come up with a formula that protects the rights of the three components: the
family, the office, and the maid. They also say that they are not a judicial
body and that following up the fleeing ones is a security issue that fall
outside the domain of the employment offices.

One maid, Kamary, says that she came to Saudi Arabia before Ramadan and she
wants to run away and work freely. She says that she first worked for a Saudi
family for SR600, but after receiving abusive treatment she ran away. The
employment office transferred her to work for other Saudi families on a daily
basis. Now she earns some SR2,000 but she has had it, she just wants to run
away.

In brief, the phenomenon of fleeing maids is less in Saudi Arabia than in the
rest of the Gulf countries. The openness in these societies allows for this
phenomenon to increase. The late procedures adopted by the Ministry of Labor in
the Kingdom were effective. The insistence on establishing a big company to
bring in maids will limit the scope of the problem. Sa’ad Al-Baddah — the head
of the founding committee of a new Saudi company — said there will be
mechanisms to protect all, including maids and families.