Police search two 'bomber' cars

Police forensic experts are continuing to search two cars linked to
the men suspected of carrying out last week's bomb attacks in London.
Police spent 14 hours dealing with explosive devices found in one of
the cars at Luton Central railway station.

It was removed from the station car park at about 0430 BST on
Wednesday.

The cars are thought to have been left by the bombers when they
travelled into London. The second car had been towed to nearby
Leighton Buzzard on Thursday.

Bomb squad detectives carried out 10 controlled explosions on Tuesday
and Wednesday to try to make the car safe.

They said they were targeting specific parts of the car in order to
try to limit damage to forensic clues.

Officers worked under floodlights to try to make the car safe.
Hundreds of people in the area had to be evacuated.

Luton Central railway station was closed until around 0125 BST, but
many commuters were unable to reclaim their vehicles until the
suspect car had been removed.

Police believe four men travelled from Luton to London last week to
carry out the bombings, and probably died in doing so.

Train disruption

The cars are believed to have been hired in West Yorkshire and driven
to Luton station, where three men met up with a fourth suspect.

All four men are said to have been British nationals of Pakistani
descent.

 Everybody thought it was a bomb scare to start with
Javed Khan,
Witness in Luton

A 200-metre cordon went up at the station at 1445 BST on Tuesday.
The areas affected by Tuesday's evacuation included Luton bus
station, part of the Luton University campus and some private
buildings.

Trains were suspended, causing "serious disruption", a Thameslink
spokesman said.

Witness Javed Khan said people did not know why they had been moved
out of Luton station until police handed out leaflets explaining what
was happening.

"It was quite confusing for the public. Everyone thought it was a
bomb scare to start with," Mr Khan told BBC News.

The leaflets explained that police believed the vehicle might be
connected to the London bombings, which have claimed at least 52
lives.

 They think they are going to be targeted by the police and anti-
Islamic people
Mayor of Luton, Haji Abid

"We can only apologise for the inconvenience this has caused
everybody but your safety is our priority, which can only be ensured
by taking this action," said Deputy Chief Constable Martin Stuart, of
Bedfordshire Police.

The Mayor of Luton said Tuesday's events had damaged community
relations and left Muslims in the town afraid for their safety.

Haji Abid, himself a Muslim, said: "They think they are going to be
targeted by the police and anti-Islamic people."

Houses raided

Mr Abid added: "I'm sad and surprised Luton is once again in the
spotlight because of terrorism.

"The town is very diverse with many Muslims living here but there are
a few who I would not call true Muslims, they are bringing these
problems upon us.

"People have been coming to me today fearful, not knowing what is
going on around them."

Luton station was closed shortly after Army bomb experts carried out
a controlled explosion to gain access to a house in Leeds as part of
the hunt for the London bombers.

The unoccupied house was one of six raided in the city.

An anti-terrorist hotline for anyone who might have information for
the police has been set up on 0800 789 321 .

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/4676061.stm

Published: 2005/07/13 05:01:16 GMT

© BBC MMV