What atheists can learn from religion

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/26/opinion/de-botton-religion-atheists/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

CNN

Editor's note: Alain de Botton is the author of a new book "Religion for
Atheists" and of "How Proust Can Change Your Life." He is the founder of
www.theschooloflife.com and of an architectural organisation called
www.living-architecture.co.uk. He spoke at the TED Global conference in
Edinburgh, Scotland, last year. TED is a nonprofit dedicated to "Ideas worth
spreading" which it makes available through talks posted on its website.

London (CNN) -- Probably the most boring question you can ask about religion is
whether or not the whole thing is "true." Unfortunately, recent public
discussions on religion have focused obsessively on precisely this issue, with
a hardcore group of fanatical believers pitting themselves against an equally
small band of fanatical atheists.

I prefer a different tack. To my mind, of course, no part of religion is true
in the sense of being God-given. It seems clear that there is no holy ghost,
spirit, geist or divine emanation. The real issue is not whether God exists or
not, but where one takes the argument to if one concludes he doesn't. I believe
it must be possible to remain a committed atheist and nevertheless to find
religions sporadically useful, interesting and consoling -- and be curious as
to the possibilities of importing certain of their ideas and practices into the
secular realm.

One can be left cold by the doctrines of the Christian Trinity and the Buddhist
Fivefold Path and yet at the same time be interested in the ways in which
religions deliver sermons, promote morality, engender a spirit of community,
make use of art and architecture, inspire travels, train minds and encourage
gratitude at the beauty of spring. In a world beset by fundamentalists of
believing and secular varieties, it must be possible to balance a rejection of
religious faith with a selective reverence for religious rituals and concepts.

TED.com: Karen Armstrong's wish for a charter of compassion

It is when we stop believing that religions have been handed down from above or
else that they are entirely daft that matters become more interesting.

We can then recognize that we invented religions to serve two central needs
which continue to this day and which secular society has not been able to solve
with any particular skill: firstly, the need to live together in communities in
harmony, despite our deeply rooted selfish and violent impulses. And secondly,
the need to cope with terrifying degrees of pain which arise from our
vulnerability to professional failure, to troubled relationships, to the death
of loved ones and to our decay and demise.

God may be dead, but the urgent issues which impelled us to make him up still
stir and demand resolutions which do not go away when we have been nudged to
perceive some scientific inaccuracies in the tale of the seven loaves and
fishes.
We have grown frightened of the word morality. We bridle at the thought of
hearing a sermon.
Alain de Botton

The error of modern atheism has been to overlook how many sides of the faiths
remain relevant even after their central tenets have been dismissed. Once we
cease to feel that we must either prostrate ourselves before them or denigrate
them, we are free to discover religions as a repository of occasionally
ingenious concepts with which we can try to assuage a few of the most
persistent and unattended ills of secular life.

Secular society has been unfairly impoverished by the loss of an array of
practices and themes which atheists typically find it impossible to live with.
We have grown frightened of the word morality. We bridle at the thought of
hearing a sermon. We flee from the idea that art should be uplifting or have an
ethical mission. We don't go on pilgrimages. We can't build temples. We have no
mechanisms for expressing gratitude.

The notion of reading a self-help book has become absurd to the high-minded. We
resist mental exercises. Strangers rarely sing together. We are presented with
an unpleasant choice between either committing to peculiar concepts about
immaterial deities or letting go entirely of a host of consoling, subtle or
just charming rituals for which we struggle to find equivalents in secular
society.

TED.com: Jonathan Haidt on the moral roots of liberals and conservatives

Religions merit our attention for their sheer conceptual ambition; for changing
the world in a way that few secular institutions ever have. They have managed
to combine theories about ethics and metaphysics with practical involvement in
education, fashion, politics, travel, hostelry, initiation ceremonies,
publishing, art and architecture -- a range of interests which puts to shame
the scope of the achievements of even the greatest and most influential secular
movements and individuals in history.

For those interested in the spread and impact of ideas, it is hard not to be
mesmerized by examples of the most successful educational and intellectual
movements the planet has ever witnessed.

There are sides of religions that are timely and consoling even for skeptical
contemporary minds. Atheists can learn to rescue some of what is beautiful,
touching and wise from all that no longer seems true. The wisdom of the faiths
belongs to all of mankind, even the most rational among us, and deserves to be
selectively reabsorbed by the supernatural's greatest enemies. Religions are
intermittently too useful, effective and intelligent to be abandoned to the
religious alone.