http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/foreign-correspondents-request-investigation-into-chemical-burns/508989

Foreign Correspondents Request Investigation into Chemical Burns
Farouk Arnaz | April 03, 2012

Three foreign correspondents filed a report with the National Police on Tuesday
over chemical burns they suffered while reporting on last week's chaotic
anti-fuel price hike protests outside the House of Representatives in Jakarta.

Boby Gunawan, a cameraman with Al Jazeera, Alice Budisatrijo, of the BBC, and
Louis Benjamin, of Reuters, have requested a police investigation into the
incident.

Boby said that he originally thought he was exposed to tear gas.

“Alice and Jak TV journalist Ananto [were] near me. We were confused because we
thought it was tear gas, but it burnt. I ignored it for a while. I only
realized it was a chemical liquid after I went to hospital and my skin
blackened and had mucus on it,” Boby said.

Alice first thought the liquid came from the water cannons police used to douse
the crowd, but that was proven unlikely.

“Those protesters were drenched from water cannons and yet they were all right.
The [liquid] did not seem to come from either tear gas nor water cannons,” she
said.

National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Muhammad Taufik said the chemical burns
were not from police.

“This is a work of some people trying to infiltrate the protest and make it
anarchistic. We’re still investigating the perpetrators, as well as the liquid
being used,” Taufik said.

Indonesia's Press Council announced a probe into the incident on Monday after
Jak TV reported that Ananto, a cameraman, was burned while filming the protest.

BeritaSatu/JG