Call for mosque chairman to quit

A Birmingham MP has called for the chairman of the city's Central
Mosque to resign after he said the government could not be trusted.
Chairman Dr Mohammed Naseem made the comments after terror suspect
Yasin Hassan Omar was arrested in Small Heath on Wednesday morning.

Perry Barr MP Khalid Mahmood said Dr Naseem had brought the role of
mosque chairman into disrepute.

But Dr Naseem said he did not believe he had been offensive or
controversial.

"To the best of my belief, I haven't said something I thought was
unhelpful," he said.

 What he has done is brought into disrepute the role of the chair of
the Central Mosque and the Muslim community in Birmingham
Khalid Mahmood

"I was trying to put the record straight.
"We have got a long tradition of democracy and a rule of law and
that's what I think we should uphold."

On Wednesday, Dr Naseem said there was no excuse for terrorism, but
he said Tony Blair had lied over Iraq.

"Now we cannot give our blind trust to the government," said Dr
Naseem.

Speaking to BBC Radio WM on Thursday he questioned the existence of
al-Qaeda.

"I don't think al-Qaeda exists because we Muslims all over the world
have not known this organisation," he said.

"The only information about this organisation is coming from the CIA.
Now, the CIA is not known for telling the truth."

Mr Mahmood, the first Muslim to be elected into Parliament,
said: "What he has done is brought into disrepute the role of the
chair of the Central Mosque and the Muslim community in Birmingham.

"If he wants to make cheap political points then he really ought to
relinquish his position as chairman and let somebody who is neutral
and has the interests of the community do it."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-
/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4723731.stm

Published: 2005/07/28 10:40:07 GMT