Hottest gig in town

He owns a Humvee, pays $65,000 for his suits, has 60 houses and loves to rub
shoulders with celebrities and politicians  . . . but can this man save
Schapelle Corby from jail? Cindy Wockner reports
07aug05

THE phone rings. "Hello darling, how are you today?" a male voice purrs down
the line. Puzzled by the warm intimacy of the greeting, I ask: "Who is
this?"

"What, you forget me already? Don't you miss me already? It's Hotman," he
says.

Of course, it's that Hotman – or as his newest client calls him, "One Hot
Man". How the hell could I forget him?

Only the day before I had met Hotman Paris Hutapea face-to-face for the
first time and listened almost agape as he regaled me with not only his
legal pursuits and triumphs, but his personal victories as well, his tales
of the gorgeous models and beautiful soapie stars he has been "close to".

It goes on and on. The year he spent working in a big Sydney law firm, where
his first task was to calculate how many beautiful secretaries there must be
on the 30-floor firm of 300 lawyers. Then to go after them.

It's hard to know whether to take him seriously. I am at a loss as to
whether I should laugh or take offence at the stream of brash and
politically incorrect comments that flow from him at a rate of knots.

"I am not a very good husband, I am not really a loyal husband, like 99 per
cent of Indonesians," he tells me.

"You know, based on a recent survey, two out of three married men in
Indonesia commit adultery. I would say it's more like 2.9 from three.

"But I am a very good father," Hotman says seriously, explaining how he
always wakes his three children at 5am so they can have breakfast together
before he straps on his pistols and fastens on the diamonds for his drive in
his Humvee through the "jungle" of Jakarta to the office.

"I always check whether they do their homework. I try to come home earlier
than 9pm and I check their homework," he says, with one qualification. "But
not until after I see my girlfriend."

He then goes on to tell me how he comes from a Christian family, was born in
North Sumatra 46 years ago, and how important his family is to him.

And how he married his wife when he was still a law student, minus the
riches he now enjoys. With money and success has come the glitter – the
soapie stars and models he conducts cases for, before hiring them as his PR
assistants.

"I am sometimes close to them. Serious," he booms in the authoritative voice
he uses to advantage when dealing with the press packs.

But Hotman is less forthcoming when it comes to the questions about the 60
houses he is rumoured to own in Jakarta, or the exact number of luxury cars
he possesses. Or about how much his trademark diamonds are worth.

He cites security reasons for his sudden bout of coyness, then adds: "People
will think I am arrogant."

Is he mocking himself or what?

This is the man who wears gigantic diamonds on his fingers, around his wrist
and neck and who speaks with his hands, flashes of silver and diamond
articulating every word.

Not to mention his office wall, plastered with photographs and newspaper
articles of and about himself. He wears a pistol in a holster on his ankle
and another on his waist.

Hotman is loud, brash, flamboyant, egotistical and politically incorrect,
but there is no doubting he is an operator, a Mr Fix-It who has navigated
his way spectacularly and very successfully through the maze of Indonesia's
historically corrupt legal system.

"Making $US100,000 ($A129,600) is easy," Hotman claims.

Our next meeting comes one month later, again in Bali, where Hotman has
arrived in readiness for representing his newest pro-bono client, Schapelle
Corby, at the drugs trial that he managed, in a rare feat, to have re-opened
on appeal.

Getting out of the car he spots me in the waiting media throng. Cameras
whirring, as he well knows, he says unashamedly: "Cindy, you are more
beautiful and more slim than before you went to the hospital," referring to
my recent bout of illness.

I look for the nearest pillar to hide behind as my Indonesian colleagues
laugh, most probably at me.

The next day it continues, this time outside Kerobokan Jail after he has
just been paying a visit to his client.

In the middle of a press conference, during which I press him for an answer
about the mystery witness he claims wants to confess to putting the drugs in
Corby's bag, he pauses, looks at his diamond-encrusted watch and says: "What
about 7pm, I buy you dinner wherever you want, then maybe I tell you the
answer to your question."

It's all part of the Hotman Paris show. His press conferences are peppered
with comical comments that he knows will get a laugh and he hopes will
endear him to the journalists who are so important to maintaining his public
image and to helping his client.

This time his client is Western, so he has a new coterie of hacks demanding
his time and answers to their questions, and he is loving it.

"If the Government won't pay for Australian witnesses to come to Bali to
testify for Corby, then I'll sell one of these diamonds and pay for it
myself," he says, holding up a hand.

The next day it's showtime and a mass of media awaits his arrival at the
modest Denpasar District Court.

It's a long time since a lawyer wearing a black pin-striped, Italian-made
Zegna suit and a matching tie walked confidently through its doors. His tie
alone cost the equivalent of what one of the court's judges earns in a whole
year.

He buys his suits from Rodeo Drive in Hollywood and says he generally pays
about $US5000 ($A6480) a tie.

Pressed again about the mystery witness, he says: "I can't make love and
give birth to a witness."

Now he is clearly basking in the spotlight. When he and Erwin Siregar,
Corby's Bali-based lawyer, visit Corby in the court's holding cell before
the trial starts, he holds her hand and they pose for the media.

Again, after the short one-witness trial is over, he hugs the 28-year-old
former beauty therapist as the flashbulbs pop, then turns with Corby to
satisfy the baying media, which is calling for the pair to hold their pose
while turning slightly to the right.

Appearing bemused by it all, Corby starts to giggle. It's like showbiz.

Whether Hotman's presence in the saga will help Corby remains to be seen.
But getting the Denpasar High Court to re-open the case, against all the
odds, was an early, if hollow victory.

This week it again ended in tears for Corby when judges closed the re-opened
hearing, shattering Corby's hopes of release.

Hotman's motives, in representing Corby free, are a mystery. He says it's
because when it's time to meet his maker he will have repaid some of his
debt and will have achieved something good in his life.

But the publicity can be doing him no harm. He now has his own firm with 14
lawyers and has become a bigwig in the murky world of commercial litigation
and bankruptcy in Jakarta.

And he admits that in the past his cases may not have all been won on their
legal merits alone. He sends "thank you" presents to judges.

But he has said repeatedly that for Corby's case, he is "clean".

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,16175205%255E949,00.html

 would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer
in the arts today at Network for Good</a>.</font>