China Helps Indonesian Children Return to School

2005-10-18 21:49:48      CRIENGLISH.com

Chinese government made another donation to tsunami-affected Indonesia on
Tuesday.

This time, the donation was made to the Indonesian government through the
United Nations Children's Fund and the benificiaries will be children in
Aceh province and Nias Island who have found themselves without schools.

By the middle of next month, 500,000 children in these areas will have
received school kits, including exercise books, pencils, rulers and rubbers,
which will help these children to return to their studies.

Yi Xiaozhun, China's vice minister of Commerce, says China feels a
responsibility to help those children to realize their dreams.

"We think we have a responsibility to help those disaster stricken children
to return to school. They are our Asian neighbors. To them, education is
equally as important as to Chinese children. Without education, they will
lose their hope."

This donation, worth a total of 5.5 million US dollars, so far is the
largest Chinese donation made through a UN organization to the
tsunami-affected country.

China pledged to provide 20 million US dollars to the countries affected by
the tsunami, which struck the Indian Ocean area at the end of last year,
killing hundreds of thousands of people.

http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/2238/2005-10-18/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM