Ref: Lihat juga “Laju Kerusakan Hutan di Kalsel Sangat Tinggi “
http://www.mediaindonesia.com/read/2012/09/30/352258/127/101/Laju-Kerusakan-Hutan-di-Kalsel-Sangat-Tinggi-
 dan Sumatra Hot Spot Count Highest in Years, September 27, 2012
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/health/sumatra-hot-spot-count-highest-in-years/546817

Alangkah bagus pernyataan SBY.

http://www.antaranews.com/en/news/84709/indonesia-has-succeeded-in-reducing-deforestation-president
Indonesia has succeeded in reducing deforestation: president
Tue, September 25 2012 16:52 | 330 Views

Presiden Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (REUTERS/Daniel Hartley-Allen)

  35 percent of Indonesia`s tropical rain forests are currently protected by
the government...
stated that Indonesia has succeeded in reducing deforestation and the
government is continuing its reforestation efforts by implementing a number of
programmes involving the local community.

"The most depressing event relating to deforestation in our country is when we
lost 3.5 million hectares of rain forests during the transition-to-democracy
period in 2000," he said in New York on Monday night.

"From that point on, Indonesia launched a number of policies to regain its
forest cover," he added.

President Yudhoyono admitted that it was not easy to implement such policies,
which required cooperation of the local community as well as the international
community.

"One of our decisions was to make a breakthrough by implementing the REDD plus
program in cooperation with the Norwegian government," he said.

However, the decision was widely criticized across Indonesia. The head of the
state had to assure his countrymen that the move was part of the government's
efforts to preserve the environment and it would benefit Indonesia in the long
term.

"We also issued a moratorium to protect our forests, as part of our reformation
efforts," the President said.

"One of the positive outcomes of the policy is that 35 percent of Indonesia`s
tropical rain forests are currently protected by the government," he explained.

"Besides, we also aggressively initiated our reforestation efforts. I led the
campaign and have managed to plant one billion trees every year. So far, we
have planted about three billion trees," President Yudhoyono stated.

He also called on the global community to cooperate with Indonesia in its
efforts to achieve sustainable economic growth.
(A050)
+++++
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/forest-fires-rage-in-central-java-east-kalimantan/546687
Forest Fires Rage in Central Java, East Kalimantan
SP/Imron Rosyid & Tunggadewa Mattangkilang | September 27, 2012

 A forest fire on Lawu mountain is seen from Magetan, East Java, on Tuesday.
(Antara Photo/Siswowidodo) olo/West Kutai. Forest fires have razed thousands of
hectares of land in Central Java and East Kalimantan as an unusually intense
and protracted dry spell drags on, officials reported on Wednesday.

In Karanganyar, Central Java, more than 500 hectares of forests and tree
nurseries on the slopes of Mount Lawu have been torched since Monday, with the
fires still raging as of Wednesday.

Aji Pratama, head of the Karanganyar Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD), said
the extremely dry conditions and strong winds were fueling the flames and
making it hard for firefighters to douse them.

“The fires started in Ngawi district [in East Java] and have spread here
because of the winds,” he said.

“It’s not just the brush and shrubs that are getting burned, but also trees,
especially pines.”

Much of the affected area on Mount Lawu consists of logging concessions that
include pine, acacia and eucalyptus trees.

Sunardi, a resident of Ngargoyoso subdistrict further down the slope, said the
ash from the burning vegetation was raining down on residential areas. He added
residents were afraid that the fire would reach their homes.

“We’re 25 kilometers away from the fires, but you never know with the way the
wind’s blowing,” he said.

Maryono, coordinator of the district emergency response unit, said the size of
the scorched area was increasing by the hour, with the fire now encroaching on
a community forest.

Rina Iriani, the Karanganyar district head, said fires were not an uncommon
problem on Lawu’s slopes, but this year’s blaze was worse because of the dry
conditions and strong winds.

She said she had ordered all hiking routes in the area to be temporarily closed
and called on resident’s living on the mountain’s slopes to help in putting out
the fires.

In West Kutai, East Kalimantan, forest fires have razed more than 1,500
hectares of land since Monday. A harsh dry spell has also been blamed for the
extent of the disaster there.

Yustinus A.S., head of the district forestry office, said the fires were not
believed to be man-made. He said the affected area, on the periphery of the
Kersik Luway orchid park, a forest conservation area, had previously
experienced severe fires lasting several months in 1987 and 1997.

“Both those previous times we lost around 5,000 hectares of forest. This time
it’s only around 1,500 hectares, most of which was forest area that was
replanted after the 1997 fire,” Yustinus said.

He added that firefighters and residents alike were trying to put out the
flames and prevent the fire spreading to the orchid park.

Haze from the fire is also causing problems at West Kutai’s Melalan Sendawar
Airport, where visibility was down to one kilometer on Wednesday, well below
the usual three kilometers.

The conditions forced the airport to freeze operations from Wednesday. Suparno,
the airport manager, said scheduled flights to Samarinda and Balikpapan had to
be canceled because of the haze. “We don’t know yet when we can reopen the
airport,” he said.