BBC News Europe
12 October 2012 Last updated at 09:21 GMT

Nobel Peace Prize awarded to European Union
Comments (17)

The European Union has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for six decades of
work in advancing peace in Europe.

The committee said the EU had helped to transform Europe from a continent of
war to a continent of peace.

The award comes as the EU faces the biggest financial crisis of its 54-year
history, with many of its member states mired in recession.

The last organisation to be given the award outright was Medecins Sans
Frontieres, which won in 1999.

Announcing the award, Nobel committee president Thorbjoern Jagland acknowledged
the EU's current financial problems and social unrest.

But he said the committee wanted to concentrate on the body's work over six
decades of advancing "peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights".

The committee president highlighted the EU's work in sealing the reconciliation
between France and Germany in the decades after World War II.

And he praised the organisation for incorporating Spain, Portugal and Greece
after their authoritarian regimes collapsed in the 1970s.

He said that the EU's reconciliation work had now moved to Balkan countries,
and pointed out that Croatia was on the verge of membership.

Martin Schulz, president of the European Parliament, said he was "deeply
touched and honoured" with the award.
Your comments (17)
Comments

Sign in with your BBC iD, or Register to comment and rate comments

All posts are reactively-moderated and must obey the house rules.
Jump to comments pagination

    All Comments (17)

        Order by:
        Latest First
        Highest Rated
        Lowest Rated
    Rate this comment positivelyRate this comment negatively
    0
    Comment number 17.
    fgianni
    Just now

    Well we should give credit where is due, in times before the EU existed, we
were often concerned about avoiding bombs killing us, now we are concerned
about our level of income, and whether we can afford the latest flat screen TV.
Big improvement IMHO

    Rate this comment positivelyRate this comment negatively
    0
    Comment number 16.
    Eye Of Satan
    Just now

    Well, I'm sure they'll be giving it to themselves next time.

    Rate this comment positivelyRate this comment negatively
    -1
    Comment number 15.
    Arron
    Just now

    What a load of balls.

    Rate this comment positivelyRate this comment negatively
    +2
    Comment number 14.
    colinwe
    Just now

    Fantastic news, 60 years without Europeans killing each other. Now if we
could just stop having wars with countries outside the EU we'd be onto a winner!

    Rate this comment positivelyRate this comment negatively
    -1
    Comment number 13.
    RYGnotB
    2 Minutes ago

    I find the way in which the EU is run extremely shady. After Obama, another
very dubious winner of this once well-respected honour

Comments 5 of 17

    Show more

Sign in with your BBC iD, or Register to comment and rate comments

All posts are reactively-moderated and must obey the house rules.
More Europe stories

    Syrian Air plane at Ankara airport, Turkey (10 Oct 2012)Turkey 'lying' over
Syria plane

    Syria accuses Turkey of lying over its claim that a Syrian-bound plane
forced to land in Ankara was carrying Russian-made defence equipment.
    Ashanti jewels stolen in Norway
    EU urges action on joint airspace

BBC

BBC © 2012 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read
more.