EXCLUSIVE: Bali's top terror cop speaks
'I'm the man most hated by men most wanted'
By Zaihan Mohd Yusof

November 02, 2005

IF Bali were a cowboy town in the US, Major General I Made (pronounced
Mah-Deh) Mangku Pastika would fit right in, boots, swagger and all.

Those he protects, respect and adore him - the kind of feelings a 'good-guy'
sheriff would command in a small town.

But, as police chief of a place targeted not once but twice by terrorists,
Gen Pastika is also the man most hated by those most wanted.

He is, possibly, the only cop in the region with the most first-hand
experience in dealing with terrorist threats and tragedies.

That makes him a marked man. But Gen Pastika dismisses threats to his life.

'Getting injured or killed is part of the risk that comes with the job.

'It's our job (as policemen) to get rid of terrorists and keep the peace in
Bali.

'I'm motivated to fight because it's our duty to protect, serve and keep the
peace,' he said.

Like Clint Eastwood's squinty-eyed characters in Hollywood westerns, Gen
Pastika rarely smiles. His look is piercing and he growls out his answers.

He's not a happy man. Twice, under his watch, terrorists have hit Bali.

On 12 Oct 2002, a car-bomb killed at least 200 people, and again this year,
on 1 Oct, suicide bombers killed at least 19 people in Kuta Square and
Jimbaran.

Twice he's had to sift through the remains of bombers for clues. It is not a
pleasant task.

ANGRY SHERIFF

It's made him angry enough to play hard ball. Within days of the 1 Oct
bombing, he allowed grisly pictures of the heads of suicide bombers to be
flashed in the media.

He said: 'If this was Japan, the police would have known the identity of the
culprit almost immediately if a finger of a terrorist is recovered. In Bali
we've found some fingers but we have no record of who they belong to.'

So how do you start with suspects with no names and seemingly no history?

Gen Pastika said: 'Terrorism without a face is what we're experiencing right
now. The terrorists who struck (on 1 Oct) had no identity, no clear
motives.'

He added that Indonesians have several identity cards and can be known by
different names, which makes the police's task tougher.

His job is not only to protect lives.

Tourism in Bali is crucial as the island accounts for more than 40 per cent
of visitors to Indonesia.

In 2004, Indonesia saw tourism revenues reaching $7.6 billion, according to
figures from the country's Ministry of Culture and Tourism.

That's why there's intense pressure on him to act swiftly.

Gen Pastika: 'When we caught the first group of terrorists responsible for
the 2002 bombing, many foreign police investigators were surprised that we
had caught them so soon.

'They said it was going to be difficult, taking into consideration the many
identities that the terrorists assumed. But it was possible.'

As chief investigator in the 2002 bombing, Gen Pastika and his men moved in
swiftly to arrest terrorists such as Amrozi and Imam Samudra, who have been
tried and sentenced to death.

It's tough being the sheriff of Bali with its population of more than three
million, not including the thousands of tourists who arrive every month.

He's in charge of 11,800 policemen and 6,000 non-uniformed security
volunteers who keep watch at the village level. But what he really needs are
men of steel, like himself.

Gen Pastika said: 'We must have people who are daring enough to infiltrate
groups that may be prone to terrorism.'

That's been a tough one to crack.

But things are different this time around. Unlike the 2002 bombings, the
recent bombings didn't scare away too many tourists.

On 12 and 13 Oct 2002, the daily arrivals to Bali were about 5,000. In the
following few days, tourist arrivals fell to about 750 a day.

On 1 Oct 2005, the day of the second bombing, there were 5,671 arrivals.
Daily arrivals fell by half to about 2,600 a day, a few days later.

Gen Pastika is confident Bali will recover. It just requires time, he said
in an interview with The New Paper at Bali Police Headquarters on 21 Oct.

BALI NATIVE

As a native of Bali, he knows his people well. And they look up to him to
protect them and their interests.

Bali resident Nikko, 28, who runs a tour service in Kuta, said: 'The whole
of Bali is depending on him for safety and livelihood.

'If he can catch the culprits, then the tourists will come back. (But) he
could be the biggest target for terrorists.'

Is he afraid? It's just not like him, it seems, to cower.

Residents say it's common to see the police chief travelling in his car with
only a driver and without police escort.

This is his town and he plans to keep it that way.

BALI COPS ON THE BALL

WANT police protection while you're out sight-seeing? It can be arranged,
say the Bali police.

It's free, and you can contact the tourist police in Bali if you feel the
need for an escort as you go around.

However, Bali police spokesman A S Reniban said it is advisable to make such
arrangements well in advance.

As for other security measures on the island, a great deal has already been
done.

Emergency units such as the police, the fire brigade and hospitals now have
more coordinated evacuation plans.

There is an increased police presence, too.

Bilateral agreements on counter-terrorism have been signed by Indonesia with
several countries.

Local police now receive training, and share information and technology with
their foreign counterparts.

But surveillance tools like CCTVs (closed circuit television) need to be
installed on the streets of Bali, said Gen Pastika.

'In a short time after the 7 Jul bombing, the police in London were able to
piece together the evidence and identify the culprits. That's because London
has a lot of CCTVs watching its streets,' he said.

Gen Pastika believes CCTVs will be a deterrent and will also help with
police investigations.

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,96801,00.html

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM