(24. Also (forbidden are) women already married, except those (slaves)
whom your right hands possess. Thus has Allah ordained for you. All
others are lawful, provided you seek them (with a dowry) from your
property, desiring chastity, not fornication. So with those among them
whom you have enjoyed, give them their required due, but if you agree
mutually (to give more) after the requirement (has been determined),
there is no sin on you. Surely, Allah is Ever All-Knowing, All-Wise.)

(except those whom your right hands possess) except those whom you
acquire through war, for you are allowed such women after making sure
they are not pregnant. Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri
said, "We captured some women from the area of Awtas who were already
married, and we disliked having sexual relations with them because
they already had husbands. So, we asked the Prophet about this matter,
and this Ayah was revealed,

(Also (forbidden are) women already married, except those whom your
right hands possess). Consequently, we had sexual relations with these
women.'' This is the wording collected by At-Tirmidhi An-Nasa'i, Ibn
Jarir and Muslim in his Sahih. Allah's statement,