http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/28/opinion/rose-coy-transgender-children/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

[CNN]

Gender identity not just body parts
By Donna Rose , Special to CNN
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 2100 GMT (0500 HKT)

CNN.com

Editor's note: Donna Rose is an author, educator and a former member of the
Human Rights Campaign Business Council. She is a male-to-female transsexual and
an advocate and spokesperson for transgender people and issues.

(CNN) -- Part of being a child is developing your identity. School can teach
you knowledge. Society can teach you what it expects of you. But, once you
develop a sense of yourself, no one and nothing can tell you who you are. You
come to know that -- to your core.

When a child's sense of self develops in ways that are traditional and
unremarkable, nobody takes much notice. But when it happens in ways that
challenge traditional norms or expectations, people often try to "correct" it.

Such is the heart of a controversy brewing in Colorado involving a first-grader
and, of all things, a bathroom.

The unlikely center of this uproar is a little 6-year-old girl, Coy Mathis. Coy
knows she's a girl. She dresses as a girl. Her legal documents recognize her as
a girl. Her parents accept her as a girl. On the playground, you would have
difficulty identifying her as different from any of the other girls, because in
all ways that matter socially and legally, this child is a girl.

The problem is that Coy was born in the body of a boy, so the school district
wants her to use the boys' bathroom, or some bathroom other than the one the
other girls use. The Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund has filed a
complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division on behalf of Coy and her
family.

Discrimination complaint filed for transgender girl

Although generations of people facing a similar mind/body dissonance have been
forced to hide, to pretend, to live unhappy and empty lives simply for being
different, the world is changing. Kids such as Coy finally have a chance to
avoid a similar fate with their dignity and their self-image intact, given the
right support and opportunity.
Transgender child's family fights school
Transgender hoops player takes to court
Transgender veteran denied active duty
2011: Tammy and Mario: Gender journeys

Vice President Joe Biden has long been a supporter of gay, lesbian and
transgender rights, referring to them as civil rights issues. It seems odd to
think of this first-grader who simply wants to use the bathroom as a civil
rights pioneer. But crossing seemingly simple barriers for rights is nothing
new -- whether to ride a bus, to attend a school or to use a bathroom just like
everyone else. It is unfortunate that we keep having to relearn these lessons.

I doubt many people stop to consider that the single most significant moment in
their lives happens within minutes of their births. That's when, upon simple
inspection, a doctor or a nurse pronounces a baby a boy or a girl. That
seemingly simple and obvious proclamation has reverberations for the rest of
our lives.

I can empathize with Coy because I faced those same overwhelming questions
myself, almost 50 years ago.

I came to know a similar mistake had been made, except that at that time, I
didn't have words to explain it. I learned to live a lie. Pretending to be what
you're not, hoping things will magically fix themselves, seems easier at times.
But lies have consequences.

News: Frat pays for brother's sex change

It is unfortunate that Coy's school has not learned the lesson that so many
other aspects of our culture have already acknowledged, that a person's gender
is more complicated than a body part or a chromosome.

Workplaces across this country are recognizing the challenges that their
transgender workers face and are removing deeply embedded barriers to health
care and wellness benefits. Organizations ranging from the National Collegiate
Athletic Association to the Girl Scouts are accepting transyouth, sometimes
under fire, treating children based on identify, not body parts.

Transwomen have openly competed in mainstream beauty pageants and have been
featured in magazines such as Vogue. Transgender athletes, artists and writers,
people in all fields, have shown there is a pathway to a happy, well-adjusted
and fulfilling life -- not as an "other," but as the men and women we know
ourselves to be.

Apparently none of this matters to the school that denies Coy the use of the
girls' bathroom or to the parents who demonize her and her family. Arguments to
treat Coy with dignity often fall on deaf ears. Why? Because discussion of the
topic quickly becomes emotional rather than rational.

When I came out to my own mother, at 40 years old, I was a parent, I had been
married to a woman I loved for 20 years, I had a successful career, we owned
two homes, and there wasn't a single person who would have guessed my secret or
my struggle.

But in the end, a quote from André Gide: "It is better to be hated for what you
are than loved for what you are not," resonated to the point that I finally
became who I should have been.

Today, my family and I have never been closer. I have never been more in tune
with myself and the world around me. My relationships have never been more
fulfilling. Those who would cling to outdated stereotypes of transpeople as
sad, lonely, misguided, freakish and broken see more and more examples of
people who bloom when they find the strength, and the opportunity, to become
authentic.

My own advice for Coy and her family: Keep the spirit of the Serenity Prayer
close to your heart. Love one another. Know that this journey is far more about
happiness and fulfillment than about body parts or bathrooms. To Coy's parents,
Kathryn and Jeremy: Doing what's right for your daughter will make a bigger
difference for her, and for others, than you know. And last, don't forget to
hug one another every day.

Follow us on Twitter

Join us on

The opinions in this commentary are solely those of Donna Rose.
© 2013 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved