Wah, simpang siur.....

 5 1 0 , 4 1 4 , 0 1 4

Source: 'Significant progress,' but no arrest in bombing
>From   Tom Watkins , CNN
April 17, 2013 -- Updated 1903 GMT (0303 HKT) CNN.com
(CNN) -- Investigators racing to solve the fatal bombing at the Boston Marathon
have made "significant progress" in the case but no arrests, a federal law
enforcement source told CNN's John King.
The federal source and a
Boston law enforcement official denied that any arrest had been made,
despite previous reports that a suspect was in custody.
One federal law
enforcement source told CNN that investigators had made "significant
progress but no arrest... anyone who says 'arrest' is ahead of
themselves."
A Boston law enforcement told CNN, "We got him," but won't clarify whether that
means a suspect has been identified or arrested.
Some federal sources said it was
even too early to say investigators had identified the suspect, but
several sources in Boston told CNN that they have a clear
identification.
The back-and-forth developments
came after a chaotic day in which investigators revealed more details
about the makeup of the bombs and apparently unrelated scares over
letters containing ricin gripped the nation's capital.
The bombs exploded 12 seconds apart near the finish line of the Boston
Marathon, killing three people and
wounding about 180 others.
One of the bombs was housed in a
pressure cooker hidden inside a backpack, the FBI said in a joint
intelligence bulletin. The device also had fragments that may have
included nails, BBs and ball bearings, the agency said.
The second bomb was also housed in a metal container, but it was not clear
whether it too was in a pressure
cooker, the FBI said.
The U.S. government has warned
federal agencies in the past that terrorists could turn pressure cookers into
bombs by packing them with explosives and shrapnel and detonating
them with blasting caps.
The bombs
Photos obtained by CNN show the
remains of a pressure cooker found at the scene, along with a shredded
black backpack and what appear to be metal pellets or ball bearings.
Scraps of at least one pressure
cooker, nails and nylon bags found at the scene were sent to the FBI's
national laboratory in Virginia, where technicians will try to
reconstruct the devices, the agent leading the investigation said
Tuesday.
The pieces suggest each of the
devices was 6 liters (about 1.6 gallons) in volume, a Boston law
enforcement source said. The recovered parts include part of a circuit
board, which might have been used to detonate a device.
A law enforcement official said
Monday's bombs were probably detonated by timers. But the FBI said
details of the detonating system were unknown.
While the clues moved the
investigation forward, they did not make it immediately apparent whether the
attack was an act of domestic or foreign terrorism.
Tracking suspects in the Boston bombings
New clues in Boston Marathon attack
"If your experience and your
expertise is Middle East terrorism, it has the hallmarks of al Qaeda or a
Middle East group," former FBI Assistant Director Tom Fuentes said. "If your
experience is domestic groups and bombings that have occurred
here, it has the hallmarks of a domestic terrorist like Eric Rudolph in
the 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympics bombings."
Things we know
Fuentes said he has investigated
both types of terrorism -- from Iraq to the United States -- and finds
the Boston attack has elements of both. "It has the hallmarks of both
domestic and international (attacks), and you can see either side of
that."
Opinion: Why is this so rare?
Third victim identified
Boston University identified graduate student Lingzu Lu as the third person who
died in Monday's bombings.
Previously identified were Krystle
Campbell, 29, of Arlington, Massachusetts, and Martin Richard, 8, of
Dorchester, Massachusetts.
"She was the best," Campbell's distraught mother, Patty, told reporters
Tuesday. "You couldn't ask for a better daughter."
Martin "was a bright, energetic
young boy who had big dreams and high hopes for his future," his school
said in a statement. "We are heartbroken by this loss."
Source: Bomb was in pressure cooker
Boston doctor: 'Everyone was my patient'
Remembering 8-year-old Martin Richard
The hunt for the attacker
The attack left Boston police with
"the most complex crime scene that we've dealt with in the history of
our department," Commissioner Ed Davis said Tuesday.
Authorities sifted through
thousands of pieces of evidence and a mass of digital photos and video
clips leading up to Wednesday's arrest. They had pleaded for the
public's help in providing additional leads and images.
"Someone knows who did this," said
Rick DesLauriers, the special agent in charge of the FBI's Boston office said.
"The community will play a crucial role in this investigation."
Medical personnel treating the wounded found evidence suggesting the bombmaker
or bombmakers sought to maximize the suffering.
Dr. George Velmahos, head of trauma care at Massachusetts General Hospital,
said his team found metal
pellets and nails inside patients' bodies.
"They are numerous. There are people who have 10, 20, 30, 40 of them in their
body, or more," Velmahos said.
While most of the patients treated
at Brigham and Women's Hospital were wounded by "ordinary debris," three were
struck by "perfectly round objects" that were uniform, consistent
and metallic, the hospital's chairman of emergency medicine said.
'Human spirit' still alive
Dr. Ron Walls also said one patient had more than 12 carpenter-type nails.
"There is no question some of these objects were implanted in the device for
the purpose of being exploded forward," he said.
Victims continue recovery
As investigators closed in on a suspect, those wounded in the incident
continued to recover.
Boston Medical Center has two
patients in critical condition, down from 11 just after the bombings,
Dr. Peter Burke, chief of trauma care, told reporters Wednesday. Ten
patients are in serious condition and seven are in fair condition, he
said.
The incident deeply affected
thousands, including Candace Rispoli, who was cheering on a friend when
the festive atmosphere turned into a "terrifying hell." She suffered
minor injuries.
"I personally will never
participate in an event of this nature in a city in fear that something
like this could happen again," she said. "I keep replaying the moments
of terror over and over in my head and am just still in utter shock.
Always seeing terrible things of this nature happen all over the world
on TV, my heart would always go out to those directly affected. But I
never imagined in a million years I would be a spectator at the Boston
Marathon running for my life."
CNN's Fran Townsend, Matt Smith,
Dave Alsup, Henry Hanks, Susan Candiotti, Rande Iaboni, Gloria Borger
and John King contributed to this report.
© 2013 Cable News Network.   Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.  All Rights
Reserved.
Share this article

 inShare4