BBC News US & Canada

19 April 2013 Last updated at 14:10 GMT

Huge manhunt for Boston bomb suspect

Information is emerging about the lives of brothers Dzhokhar and Tamerlan
Tsarnaev, who are suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon.

Tamerlan, 26, died in a shootout with police on Thursday night. His 19-year-old
younger brother, Dzhokhar, is still on the run in Boston.

The brothers lived in the Massachusetts town of Cambridge, home of the
prestigious Harvard University. They are thought to have been in the US since
about 2001.

Information is mixed about the route they took to get there. The Tsarnaevs are
believed to originally hail from the southern Russian republic of Chechnya, a
predominantly Muslim area that has fought for full independence from Russia.

"Dzhokhar" is a popular Chechen name and on his page on the Russian social
networking site VN, the younger of the two brothers is a member of Chechen
groups.

The page also reveals that he attended school in the neighbouring Russian
republic of Dagestan. Sources at the Makhachkala school said he was a pupil
there for a year before he left for America.

There have been other reports that the family lived in the Central Asian nation
of Kyrgyzstan, and that they were refugees from Chechnya's conflict with Russia
in the early 1990s.

Information is slowly being pieced together about their lives in the US. We
know that Dzhokhar attended the Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, and that in
2011 he received a scholarship awarded to promising local high school seniors
wanting to pursue further education.

The Associated Press news agency reports that the boy's father called his
younger son an accomplished second year medical student and a "true angel".
Anzor Tsarnaev was speaking to AP from the Russian city of Makhachkala, where
Dzhokhar is believed to have briefly attended school.

According to this photo slideshow featuring Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the 26 year old
was an amateur boxer who had taken a semester off from the Bunker Hill
Community College in Boston to train for a big competition.

In the accompanying captions, he tells the photographer that he is hoping to
win enough fights to be selected for the US Olympic team and be a naturalised
American. Tamerlan also says that unless Chechnya becomes independent, he would
rather compete for the United States than for Russia.

The smartly-dressed, well-built boxer is photographed with his young
girlfriend. He says that he is "very religious".

He also told the photographer that he did not drink or smoke any more - "God
said no alcohol" - and expressed concern that there were "no morals anymore".

Russian news agency RIA Novosti has reported that "extremist material" was on
the YouTube account belonging to Tamerlan. "Several albums were posted, one of
them titled 'terrorist'," the agency said.

The BBC has been unable to confirm the presence of extremist material on
Tamerlan's YouTube page.
More US & Canada stories

    FBI photos of two suspects in bombing caseHuge manhunt for Boston bomb
suspect

    People in Boston are told to stay indoors amid a huge manhunt for a man
suspected of bombing the marathon, as another suspect is killed.
    Twelve confirmed dead in Texas blast
    House passes cyber security bill

BBC

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read
more.