Not such a ‘Material girl’? Madonna donates millions to girls’ education fund
Thursday, 9 May 2013
 Madonna said that she wished to auction the work to “trade something valuable
for something invaluable.” (File photo: AFP)
        *

        *

        *

        *

        *

        *

        *

Al Arabiya -
Madonna will donate $7.2 million to promoting girls’ education
rights in the Middle East and South Asia, from the sale of a Cubist
painting by French artist, Fernand Léger.
The keen art collector
and international star bought Léger’s “Trois Femmes à la Table Rouge,”
in 1990, reported The Independent on Thursday.
The piece, painted in 1921, was sold at a Sotheby’s sale of Impressionist and
Modern art in New York on Wednesday.

Léger’s “Trois Femmes à la Table Rouge,” a cubist piece formerly owned by
Madonna. (Image courtesy: Sotheby’s)
Madonna said that she wished to auction the work to “trade
something valuable for something invaluable;” all proceeds will go to
her Ray of Light Foundation which supports education projects aimed at
young girls in the Middle East and South Asia.
“Thanks to
everyone who helped make it happen! Art equals Revolution!” Madonna
wrote on her Facebook page on Wednesday. The post was accompanied by a
smiling picture of Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani girl and education
activist who was shot by members of the Taliban last year.
“I hope to make many girls smile like Malala all around the world!” Madonna
wrote.
“I cannot accept a world where women or girls are wounded, shot or killed
for either going to school or teaching in girls’ schools. We don’t have
time to be complacent,” she said in a press statement last month.
The singer is known for her dedication to charitable causes, she previously
supported UNICEF, Amnesty International and Children In Need, among
other organizations.
Despite this, her charity in Malawi recently came under fire, directed at
Madonna by the government’s education
minister, Eunice Kazembe.
“[Raising Malawi] have said they have
built ten schools in Malawi and on our side what we know is that she
[Madonna] has built classrooms... these are not schools from our side
and really that’s the essence of the difference between her side and the Malawi
government,” Kaembe told press.