Untuk yang lupa nasib orang Palestina yang jadi korban didirikannnya negara
Israel...
--

Last Update: Wednesday, 15 May 2013 KSA 16:24 - GMT 13:24
Thousands of Palestinians mark 65 years since displacement

        *

        *

        *

        *

        *

        *
Noah Browning, Reuters Ramallah -
Palestinians clashed with Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank
on Wednesday during demonstrations to mark 65 years since what they call the
Nakba (Catastrophe) when Israel's creation caused many to lose
their homes and become refugees.

U.S. Secretary of State John
Kerry is to return to the region on Tuesday in another bid to revive
peace talks frozen since 2010.

But a resolution remains elusive
 and many Palestinians cling to a desire for refugees and descendants to
 return to ancestral lands now in Israel - an idea Israel rejects,
saying it would spell the end of the Jewish state.

Protesters
skirmished with Israeli forces outside a refugee camp near the West Bank
 city of Hebron and at a prison near Ramallah, leaving several
Palestinians injured.

Thousands also rallied in the main square
 of Ramallah, the Palestinians' de facto capital while Jerusalem remains
 under Israeli control, holding up placards with the names of villages
depopulated in 1948 and old keys, symbols of lost homes.

"For
the sake of my future and to return to my family's land, I don't want
any more useless negotiations but the path of resistance and the rifle,"
 said Ahmed al-Bedu, a gangly15-year-old Palestinian who holds Jordanian
 citizenship.

Local Arabs and the armies of neighboring Arab
states failed in a 1948 war to stop the Jews settling in Palestine, who
cited biblical ties to the land and a need for a Jewish state, which up
to that time was under British colonial control.

5.3 million registered refugees

Many Arab residents fled or were expelled by force from their homes and
prevented from returning. Only Jordan, which now has a peace treaty with
Israel, gave the refugees citizenship.

According to official
Palestinian figures published this week, 5.3 million Palestinians -
almost half of their total number in the world - are registered by the
United Nations as refugees in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, the West Bank and
Gaza.

Many of them live in the concrete warrens of overcrowded camps, with poor
access to employment and basic services.

Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Western-backed Palestinian Authority
and himself a refugee from a town now in northern Israel, stoked
Palestinian outrage last year by telling an Israeli news channel he did
not seek to return home.

Saeb Erekat, Abbas's top negotiator
with Israel, said on Wednesday that sectarian conflicts in Syria and
Iraq endangered Palestinians there and that Israel's "refusal to assume
responsibility for the refugee question" and to agree on a "just
solution" for them was harming prospects for peace.

The
Palestinian Authority seeks an independent state in the West Bank and
Gaza Strip with East Jerusalem as its capital -all lands captured by
Israel in the 1967 Middle East war. Israel deems Jerusalem its "eternal
and indivisible" capital.

Hamas, the Islamist movement that
rules Gaza, refuses to recognize Israel or renounce violence against it,
 saying a refugee return can be attained only through force.

"Any initiatives and solutions that do not secure the return of our full
 rights will be rejected by our people. Our holy land is not for sale or
 bargain," the group said in a statement.

"Resistance by all its forms, and foremost armed resistance, will remain our
way to extract our rights."