Barbar.

Mengerikan...

http://www.france24.com/en/20130514-syria-mutilation-heart-eating-video-sparks-outrage-war-crimes-human-rights

Grisly Syria ‘heart-eating’ video sparks outrage
By Leela JACINTO the 14/05/2013 - 13:56

A video which appears to show the Syrian rebel Abu Sakkar carving out the heart
of a dead soldier and putting it into his mouth has shocked journalists who met
him in Homs in 2011 and 2012 and sparked widespread condemnation.

On Saturday, May 11, as French journalist Sofia Amara was surfing the web, she
chanced upon a video clip that left her shocked, sickened, angry, and
ultimately so despairing, the seasoned war reporter collapsed crying.

The gruesome video appeared to feature a Syrian rebel commander, dressed in
camouflage trousers, cutting open the corpse of what appeared to be a soldier
loyal to Syrian President Bashar al Assad.

The rebel then proceeds to carve out the heart and liver out of the corpse.

“I swear to God, soldiers of Bashar, you dogs â€" we will eat your hearts and
livers,” he says, looking into the camera. At the end of the 30-second clip,
the rebel commander puts the corpse’s heart in his mouth, as if he’s about
to eat it.

“The second I played the video, I recognised him,” said Amara in a phone
interview with FRANCE 24 from the Lebanese capital of Beirut. “I recognized
him because of his voice, his mannerisms, his clothes â€" he was always wearing
those clothes.”

FRANCE 24 has decided not to post the disturbing footage of the rebel
mutilating the corpse although the clip is available on the Internet.

Amara was reporting in the Baba Amr district of the western Syrian city of Homs
in December 2011, when she said she met the rebel, who she identified by the
nom de guerre, Abu Sakkar.

In her documentary, “At the heart of the Free Syrian Army” - which was
aired on a French TV station last year â€" Amara says Abu Sakkar features in
the second part of the two-and-a-half hour documentary.

“He was always with me. He was charming and adorable,” said Amara. “He
was not a savage. This crackdown has killed humanity.”

A war crime by a breakaway brigade

The video clip, which first appeared on pro-Syrian regime websites over the
weekend, is one of the most gruesome to emerge from the Syrian conflict, which
has killed an estimated 80,000 people, according to opposition figures.

In a statement released on Monday, the New York-based Human Rights Watch also
identified the rebel as Abu Sakkar and said his actions were a war crime.

“The laws of war prohibit any mutilation of dead bodies,” said the Human
Rights Watch statement. “Under the Rome Statute of the ICC (International
Criminal Court), ‘outrage upon personal dignity’ is a war crime, which
includes humiliating, degrading, or otherwise violating the dignity of a dead
body.”

Amara was one of a handful of journalists who say they encountered Abu Sakkar
during or after the battle of Homs in 2011 and 2012.

According to the freelance journalist, in December 2011, Abu Sakkar was
fighting with the Al Farouq Brigade, one of the oldest brigades that emerged
from Homs just months after the Syrian uprising broke out in March 2011.

But last October, Abu Sakkar broke away from the mainstream Al Farouq brigade,
and formed his own group, according to a report on the Foreign Policy website.

Human Rights Watch identified Abu Sakkar’s breakaway group as the Independent
Omar al Farouq Brigade and said it was not known whether the unit operated
under the command of the Free Syrian Army.

Responding to the video, Maj. Gen. Salim Idriss, Chief of Staff for the Supreme
Military Council of the opposition, told TIME Magazine that “such violence is
unacceptable, and no soldier under the council’s command would be allowed to
get away with such actions.”

But Nadim Houry, Middle East deputy director at Human Rights Watch, noted that
opposition forces have not set up proper accountability mechanisms for abuses
committed by their members.

“It is not enough for Syria’s opposition to condemn such behaviour or blame
it on violence by the government,” Houry said. “The opposition forces need
to act firmly to stop such abuse.”

Source URL:
http://www.france24.com/en/20130514-syria-mutilation-heart-eating-video-sparks-outrage-war-crimes-human-rights