Published on FRANCE 24 (http://www.france24.com/en)

Synthetic biology: creating life from scratch
By blade
Created 18/07/2013 - 18:14

A pioneering science is offering researchers the possibility to design and
engineer new forms of life on a made-to-order basis. This week we head to the
United Kingdom to explore the boundless potential of synthetic biology.
DOWN TO EARTH
2013-07-18 17:42-DOWN TO EARTH

Synthetic biology can be likened to a game of Lego with a biological twist,
where scientists build organisms from scratch to tackle challenges in the
domains of energy, health or technology. Some have described the field as
"genetic engineering on steroids".

If we consider that genetic modification involves cutting a DNA sequence from
an organism and splicing it into another, then synthetic biology goes much
further.

This new way of doing science means treating DNA sequences as spare parts which
can be arranged in millions of different ways, going well beyond the genes
found in nature. This artificial DNA can be used to produce everything from
medicine to fuels to textiles. The only limit is our imagination.

But critics are questioning whether mankind is prepared for the consequences of
this unparalleled control over nature.
SUSTAINABLE MINUTE

Source URL:
http://www.france24.com/en/20130718-down-to-earth-dna-synthetic-biology-united-kingdom-science-biohackers-design-engineer-life