Java quake toll mounts
by
Saturday 27 May 2006 12:42 AM GMT

Most of those killed were crushed by falling buildings

A strong earthquake has struck Java, Indonesia's main island, and the
number of people reported killed is more than 2,800 and rising.

Witnesses said the brunt of the quake was borne by Yogyakarta, an
ancient royal city, near Mount Merapi, a volcano that has been on
alert for a large eruption this month. A vulcanologist in Yogyakarta
said the quake was tectonic and not caused by the volcano, but said
it had increased Merapi's activity.

An official from the social ministry told Elshinta news radio on
Saturday that at least 1,325 people had died, not including those
still buried under collapsed buildings. Shortly afterwards the
provincial secretary of Yogyakarta, Bambang Susanto Prihardi,
confirmed a figure of more than 1,500.

Later still, an official at the social affairs ministry disaster task
force gave a figure of 2,276, which was later revised to 2,800.

Many thousands of people have been injured and medical facilities
were quickly overwhelmed.

Witnesses said hundreds of houses had collapsed in the quake. Office
and government buildings were also in ruins.

Many buildings have collapsed

Hospital patients had been moved outside due to fears of aftershocks.

Thousands of residents were taking refuge in Yogyakarta's main square
while thousands of others were sheltering at compounds of scores of
mosques, churches and hospitals throughout the region.

The epicentre of the quake, which happened just before 6am (2300 GMT)
and had a magnitude of 6.2, according to the US Geological Survey,
was offshore.

Jakarta earthquake centre said it did not cause a tsunami. It put the
strength at 5.8 and said the epicentre was in the sea about 50km
south of Yogyakarta at a depth of 33km.

Yogyakarta is about 25km north of the Indian Ocean coast.

A witness in Yogyakarta said many people there had fled their homes
while thousands of others from areas around the city were trying to
evacuate to it, many fearing a tsunami.

Dizzy

One Yogyakarta resident, Nani Kasidjo, said: "I was having a morning
walk and suddenly I felt dizzy and then people ran out of their
houses screaming 'Earthquake!'."

Residents try to free a car

Indonesia's national airline, Garuda, said Yogyakarta's airport was
closed.

Roads leading to the coast were cracked and electricity was off,
witnesses said.

Australia has offered $1 million in immediate aid and Russia has
offered assistance. Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, offered
condolences and said in a statement: "I confirm our solidarity and
readiness to extend aid to overcome the consequences of this natural
disaster."

Britain and France also said that they have offered assistance.

Reuters
By

You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/82CA0301-826E-4BCF-BD81-