------------------------------
 *Reverend Joseph Hughes sentenced* *for stealing over $2 million*
**
  BY LAYLI WHYTE
Staff Writer
June 8, 2006
The Reverend Joseph Hughes, former *pastor of Holy Cross Church* in Rumson,
*was sentenced to five years in prison* on Friday and* ordered to repay the
$2 million he was convicted of siphoning from church funds.*

Hughes, 62, will serve his sentence at a minimum security prison and *will
be eligible for parole in six months*, according to the sentence imposed by
state Superior Court Judge Bette E. Uhrmacher.

*Reverend Hughes pleaded guilty* in state Superior Court, Freehold, *on May
4 to three counts of the 27-count indictment* brought by the Monmouth County
Prosecutor's Office, *including the charge of theft by deception, filing
fraudulent tax returns, and failure to pay state income tax. *

The balance of the indictment was dismissed by the Prosecutor's Office.

Hughes spoke on his own behalf at the June 2 sentencing, expressing regret
for his actions.

"I betrayed the trust of people, the trust they placed in me," he said, "and
I am truly sorry. I am sorry for the hurt I caused my family, my friends,
and most especially the people of Holy Cross who I love."

*Reverend Hughes came to Holy Cross in 1988,* after working as the principal
of Notre Dame High School in Mercer County since 1974.

*Hughes was arrested in November 2004 after* *an audit of church finances
revealed irregularities in several bank accounts held in the name of the
church.*

The audit was conducted by the Diocese of Trenton in connection with a
construction project to expand Holy Cross Church, which had been spearheaded
by Hughes.

The proposal to expand Holy Cross Church was a controversial one and had put
Hughes, pastor at Holy Cross since 1988, at odds with some members of the
parish.

"The comprehensive audit," according to a press release from the
Prosecutor's Office distributed shortly after the sentence was handed down
by Uhrmacher, "revealed that during the eight years covered in the
indictment, Hughes wrote out and endorsed nearly a half a million dollars in
checks made payable to 'cash' against five church bank accounts. Hughes
additionally wrote $1.4 million in checks against Holy Cross Church accounts
to cover unauthorized personal expenses," the release said. "Neither Holy
Cross Church nor its parishioners received any benefit from these
unauthorized expenditures."

At the time Hughes was arrested, it was thought that he misappropriated $2.1
million.

Since then, according to Assistant Prosecutor John F. Loughrey, Hughes was
given credit for money that was proven to have been given in charity, *leaving
a total of $2,032,422 that was misappropriated* between Jan. 1, 1997, and
November 2004.

Although Hughes did not admit to misappropriating that much, he did plead
guilty to the charge.

The two tax-related charges are third-degree crimes, for each of which
Hughes was sentenced to three-year jail terms, each to run concurrent with
the five-year sentence for theft.

Hughes will become eligible for the Intensive Supervision Program, a parole
program, after serving six months of his sentence.

There is no indication at which prison Hughes will serve his term, but
Uhrmacher said it would be minimum-security.

Pappa said Hughes, after his prison sentence is served, will have to get a
job, and that he believes Hughes' wages may be garnished.

Uhrmacher said that although she understands that Hughes has supporters
among his parishioners, she also received letters from parishioners
expressing their belief that Hughes should serve jail time for his crimes.

"It makes this even sadder that this is now a divided congregation," she
said.

The count of theft is a second-degree crime that carries with it a
presumption of jail time, although Pappa said at the Friday sentencing that
there were mitigating circumstances that should have kept Hughes out of
jail.

Pappa said that Hughes' health is failing and that he was hospitalized in
2003 for cellulitis, and has not been well since.

"He suffers from diabetes," Pappa said, "congestive heart failure, obesity
and circulatory problems* *in his legs caused by his diabetes. He is on
seven different heart and blood pressure medications, and has limited
cardiovascular functions. These are chronic conditions."

Pappa also explained that canon law, the laws that govern the Catholic
Church, allows for church pastors to have "absolute discretion on how church
funds are spent."

He summarized information provided to him by Father David Fulton, an expert
in canon law.

"A murkiness exists because there are no set standards," Pappa said, "and
canon law allows for pastors to give money in charity, to parishioners in
time of need and have some money to self-entitlement."

He explained that Hughes had given much of the unaccounted for funds to
others in need, such as David Rogers and his family.

Rogers, had been employed as the operations supervisor by the church and was
paid a salary of $50,000 annually.

During the time Rogers worked at the church, Hughes purchased him a home in
Howell and was making regular mortgage payments on that property.

Upon Hughes' arrest in November 2004, investigators found that he had also
purchased a Porsche for Rogers, which was turned in at a later date for a
2004 BMW.

According to the Prosecutor's Office, Hughes also paid for vacations for
Rogers and his family, on which Hughes went along.

Pappa said that Hughes met the Rogers family during a church conference in
Florida.

"They were in need," said Pappa, "and Father Hughes promised to help. Father
Hughes gave assistance to the entire Rogers family."

Pappa said that David Rogers was learning disabled and that he testified in
front of a grand jury that he took advantage of the help offered by Hughes.

"Father Hughes believed Rogers would become homeless and unemployed if he
took away that help," said Pappa. "Father Hughes admits that this help was
inappropriate, excessive and beyond what is acceptable under canon law."

As far as offering assistance to parishioners in need, Pappa said Hughes
would help any family that wanted their child to attend Holy Cross School by
paying tuition if the family could not afford to do so.

"Father Hughes' philosophy is that any child who wanted a Catholic education
should be able to have a Catholic education," said Pappa. "He did not use
generally accepted accounting principals in his work."

Pappa said that Hughes would often take money from the church's activities
account and put it into the school's account to help cover tuition costs of
some students.

"He gave some parishioners as much as several hundred thousand dollars or
more," said Pappa.

Hughes said that he has always been generous and willing to give of what he
had to people in need.

"I've always given," he said, "as a part of my nature. I've given too much
for years."

Hughes also said that the stress of dealing with the aftermath of the
terrorist attacks on New York on Sept. 11, 2001, took a toll on him
emotionally.

"A way of dealing with that stress was to give and to give," he said. "I ask
terribly for forgiveness. I can't tell you how regretful I am."

Hughes, according to Pappa, was permitted to support himself using what
canon law describes as self-entitlement money.

"Father Hughes acknowledges that he treated himself very well with nice
dinners and Broadway shows," said Pappa. "Father Hughes' 60th birthday party
held at a country club cost $25,000, but this was to thank the parishioners
for their contributing a significant amount of money to the church expansion
project."

In addition to the special events hosted by Hughes, there were also
day-to-day expenses Pappa said Hughes was entitled to.

"Father Hughes did not have a cook," said Pappa, "therefore he was entitled
to go out to eat."

Monmouth County Prosecutor Luis A. Valentin said at a press conference after
the sentencing that if this case had gone to trial, his office would have
argued that canon law would not be applicable to this case.

"Our evidence in this case and our legal research," he said, "finds no canon
law to defend what crimes were committed by Father Hughes. We would have
submitted legal briefs that this should have not been considered."

According to Loughrey, forensic accountants in the Prosecutor's Office could
not find proof that Hughes had given any substantial amount of the $2
million to help families or individuals in need.

"We can see check by check by check," said Loughrey, "what Father Hughes
spent, what he spent it on and who he spent it on."

Loughrey said that the statements for an account in the name of Holy Cross
Church at Merrill Lynch for the period of a few months in 1998 showed three
stays at various Marriott hotels in both New Jersey and Florida, one stay at
the Waldorf Astoria Hilton in New York City, as well as airline tickets
purchased through Continental Airlines and *t*ransportation by Arrow
Limousine.

"We went to Arrow Limousine Service," said Loughrey, "and they confirmed
that Father Hughes spent a little over $50,000 for trips back and forth to
New York City, to airports, restaurants and Broadway shows."

Those trips spanned the eight years covered in the indictment, according to
Loughrey.

He also said that the church bookkeeper told investigators that Hughes would
count the Sunday Mass collection money privately, counting only the large
bills, and depositing the money himself on Mondays and Tuesdays.

"That's circumstantial," said Loughrey, "but a pastor is not supposed to
count the collection money from Sunday. He didn't think it was necessary [to
have someone else count the money] because he wanted to have control over
everything."

Loughrey said that although he did not dispute Pappa's claims that Hughes
was a good priest, a claim which was supported by letters from parishioners,
he believed jail time was appropriate.

"This fall from grace for him is stark and bitter and devastating," said
Loughrey, "but he only has himself to blame."

http://hub.gmnews.com/news/2006/0608/Front_Page/001.html

--
MARLENE VAN DOORN'S jusfiq hadjar (66 years old) is a human? we're not sure
yet. There's still no proof - JustJoiningTheTribe

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM