*THE BIBLICAL VIEW OF ATONEMENT*

*Hugh Fogelman*

* *

Christians love to quote Jewish prophets in their altered Christian bible;
picking and choosing certain verses to try supporting their claim of Jesus
being a messiah.  But for some childish reasons, they will dismiss any
attempts by scholars when they point out that what Christians say is not
what the Prophets wrote or that the Prophets did not write.

One of the clearest indications that Christianity is off base in its
insistence on the centrality of blood sacrifices is that NONE of the
prophets speaks about it. There isn't one instance in the prophetic books
where the Jewish people are told that to get right with God all they needed
were blood sacrifices.

What is the fundamental teaching of the Tanakh, the Jewish Bible on the
issue of atonement? What theme is reiterated time and again by the holy
prophets in the Jewish Bible?

*"That every man will turn from his evil way, then I will forgive their
iniquity and their sin." *(Jeremiah 36:3). **

*Nowhere was blood mentioned.*

*"Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts, and
let him return to the Lord, and He will have compassion on him; and to our
God, for He will abundantly pardon."* (Isaiah 55:7)

*Nowhere was blood mentioned.*

*"I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, `I
will confess my transgressions to the Lord', and You did forgive the guilt
of my sin."* (Psalm 32:5)

*Again, No blood! *

*"And if My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray, and
seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven,
will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."* (II Chronicles 7:14)

*No blood required.*

* "But if the wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed and
observes all My statutes and practices justice and righteousness, he shall
surely live; he shall not die. All his transgressions which he has committed
will not be remembered against him; because of the righteousness which he
has practiced he shall live...When a wicked man turns away from his
wickedness which he has committed and practices justice and righteousness,
he will save his life...Repent and turn away from all your transgressions,
so that iniquity may not become a stumbling block to you* (Ezekiel 18:21-
22, 27, 30)

*Where is mentioned that blood was also required?*

*"By lovingkindness and truth iniquity is atoned for..."* (Proverbs 16:6)

*Blood?*

*"If you return to God you will be restored; if you remove unrighteousness
far from your tent...then you will delight in God..."* (Job 22:23-27)

*No blood here.*

*"Depart from evil, and do good, so you will abide forever**."* (Psalm
37:27, cf. Ezekiel 33, Zechariah 1:3, Jeremiah 26:13)

*Do good, by blood?*

The central teaching of the Hebrew Bible is that only a break with our past
and a sincere turning in repentance can restore our relationships with God.

If I go off the path, I have to put myself back on track, and God will
forgive me. Even when sacrifices were offered, they in and of themselves did
not effect atonement. The sacrifice was only apart of the process. The
sacrifice helped bring us to the core of atonement that is achieved by
TESHUVAH, returning to God by forsaking our evil ways and praying for
forgiveness.

One of the main teachings of the prophets was to reprimand Jewish people who
thought that sacrifices were the essential element of atonement:

*"What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me? says the Lord. I have had
enough of burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed cattle. And I take no
pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs, or goats...Wash yourselves, make
yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from My sight. Cease to do
evil, Learn to do good; seek justice, reprove the ruthless, defend the
orphan, plead for the widow. Come let us reason together says the Lord,
Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be white as snow; though they be
red like crimson, they will be like wool, if you consent and obey..."* (Isaiah
1:11-18)

*"The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord."* (Proverbs
15:8)

*"To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than
sacrifice." (Proverbs 21:3). "For I delight in loyalty rather than
sacrifice, and in the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings."* (Hosea
6:6)

*"Has the Lord as great a delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in
obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and
to hearken more than the fat of rams."* (I Samuel 15:22)

*"With what shall I come to the Lord, and bow myself before the God on high?
Shall I come to Him with burnt offerings, with yearling calves? Does the
Lord take delight in thousands of rams, in ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall
I present my firstborn for my rebellious acts, the fruit of my body for the
sin of my soul? He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord
require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with
your God."* (Micah 6:6-8,cf. Amos 5:22- 24, Jeremiah 7, Psalm 69:31-32)

Since repentance, and not blood is the Biblical form of atonement, we now
understand how in I Kings 8, Solomon explained that even if the Jewish
people do not have access to the Temple, they still have access to God.

This will illuminate a famous story found in the book of Jonah. God sends
Jonah to the evil city of Ninveh to warn them of their impending
destruction. Jonah does not come into the city and tell the people that
unless they begin offering sacrifices they are doomed. Their response to his
warnings is to repent: they fast, pray, and turn from their evil. What is
God's response?

*"When God saw their deeds that they turned from their wicked way, then God
relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon
them, and He did not do it."* (Jonah 3:10)

In similar fashion, Daniel advised King Nebuchadnezzar on how to atone for
his transgressions:

*"Therefore, O king, may my advice be pleasing to you: Redeem your sins by
doing righteousness, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the
poor**."*(Daniel 4:27)

This principle will also help explain a passage in the book of Hosea. Hosea
was a prophet to the 10 northern tribes in the kingdom of Israel during a
time when there was a civil war going on between them and the two tribes of
the kingdom of Judah in the south. Because of the strife, the tribes up
north could not get to the Temple in Jerusalem to offer sacrifices. Did this
leave them with no way of atoning for their sins? The prophet advises:

*"Return, O **Israel**, to the Lord your God, For you have stumbled because
of your iniquity. Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to Him,
`Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously, for we will render as
bullocks the offerings of our lips'."* (Hosea 14:1-2)

We are able to approach God directly with prayer, which is possible at all
times; and God assures us that sincere prayer can achieve forgiveness for
our sins:

*"Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O Lord, the God of my salvation. And my
tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness. O Lord, open my lips, and my
mouth shall show forth Your praise. For You do not delight in burnt
offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite
heart. These, O God, You will not despise."* (Psalms 51:14-17, re: II Samuel
12:13)

*"I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with
thanksgiving. This shall please the Lord better than an ox or bullock that
has horns and hoofs."* (Psalm 69:30-31).

*"For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in
lovingkindness to all who call upon You. Give ear, O Lord to my prayer, and
give heed to the voice of my supplications."* (Psalm 86:5-6)

*"And listen to the supplications of Your servant and of Your people **
Israel**, when they pray toward this place; hear from heaven Your dwelling
place, hear and forgive."* (II Chronicles 6:21)

Are Christians steadfast with the Jewish Bible when they claim that
atonement is only possible with a blood sacrifice? Christians get this
misconception when they incorrectly interpret Leviticus 17:11, the
prohibition against eating blood.

Did the Rabbis just make up the idea that we can restore our relationship
with God through prayer and repentance?

YOU DECIDE!

---

Brief CV of Jusfiq Hadjar

Jusfiq Hadjar, a christian, 66 years old, is an Indonesian living in the
Netherlands. He currently lives together out of wed-lock with Marlene Van
Doorn - a documentalist in African Studies Center (ASC) library - in Leiden.

Jusfiq Hadjar has, thus far, succesfully deceived many NGOs into believing
that he is a human rights activistist. One of the NGOs that has been trapped
in his lies is a Muslim human rights group, the Movement against Racism and
for Friendship among Peoples.

Jusfiq Hadjar is very active in his campaigns against Islam and Muslims on
the Internet, especially in several Indonesian mailing lists. He will spread
massive amounts of offensive, slanderous, lying statements against Islam and
Muslims day in and day out and at the same time claiming that he is a
Muslim.

Undoubtedly, Jusfiq Hadjar is one of those people who still thinks that
adhering to a daily routine of cursing and swearing on the Internet would
help to make him look intelligent and preserve his sanity. It shoots no
wonder then if you find mosts of his writings on the Internet are just about
cursing and swearing at Muslims and licking the ass of his christian
friends.

Jusfiq Hadjar has joined several mailing lists in order to spread his severe
hatred against Islam and Muslim on the Internet:

Marlene Van Doorn is very supportive of his life partner's evil activities
on the Internet, and gives her financial support by providing him with
meals, accomodation and Internet connection. He is also allegedly financed
by Leiden church.

He has no children.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/uTGrlB/TM