Posted on Fri, Jul. 14, 2006
Religion in the news
KEN KUSMER
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS - "Would Jesus discriminate?" The question has been popping up
on billboards, yard signs and in newspaper ads around conservative central
Indiana lately in a new, Bible-based appeal for acceptance of gays and
lesbians. It's a campaign organized by a predominantly gay and lesbian
denomination - Metropolitan Community Churches - and a Jewish gay activist.

Organizers say the effort is the first in a planned series of campaigns
across the country aimed at getting people to take a fresh look at the
social justice passages in the Bible.

"Jesus taught us to love everyone, even our enemies and those who are
different from us, not destroy and mistreat them," said one ad published in
The Indianapolis Star.

"We want the dialogue to take place in every city that we operate, in some
way," said Rev. Cindi Love, executive director of MCC, which has
congregations in 240 cities.

Christians with conservative theological views believe gay relationships
violate Scripture. They insist their outlook is based not on prejudice, but
on the Bible and 2,000 years of Christian teaching.

Liberals see the primary values of the Bible as being love and
inclusiveness, with long-term gay relationships left unaddressed.

While some are willing to start a dialogue, the discussion around
Indianapolis hasn't always been friendly.

An independent Baptist congregation along a major thoroughfare posted the
message "God Discriminated at Sodom" on its sign board. A Christian
conservative group, the American Family Association of Indiana, distributed
radio ads saying, "Not only did Jesus discriminate; he is going to
discriminate again."

The MCC and the campaign's benefactor, furniture designer Mitchell Gold, are
undeterred.

Gold, the North Carolina-based purveyor of chic furniture sold by the likes
of Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel, is underwriting much of the $100,000
media campaign through Faith In America, a national organization he founded
to fight intolerance.

"I've suffered a good amount of discrimination by people holding up their
Bible," Gold said in an interview. "The clock is being turned back, and I
want to stop the clock from being turned back."

Gold, who is gay, predicted the campaign could change attitudes.

"We can really be a guiding light in the world to what acceptance is really
about," he told about 400 people who packed the sanctuary at Jesus
Metropolitan Community Church in Indianapolis recently to discuss the
campaign.

"If they don't know we're out there, if we just stayed in the woodwork, it
wouldn't change anything," said Mike Myers of suburban Carmel, who was in
the audience. Myers has been in a committed gay relationship for more than
25 years.

Gold said the campaign debuted here because it's middle America and the
Indianapolis gay and lesbian community provides a good base.

Like many states, Indiana has struggled with gay-rights legislation. Cities
such as Indianapolis have approved local ordinances barring discrimination
based on sexual preference, but a campaign to extend the legislation
statewide has come up short. In January, the Indiana General Assembly will
be asked to put before voters a constitutional amendment banning same-sex
marriage.

Curt Smith, president of the Indiana Family Institute, which is not
affiliated with the group distributing the radio ads, said he would welcome
an opportunity to meet in a friendly forum to discuss what the Bible says
about homosexuality, but he believes the MCC campaign has a different
agenda.

"My sense of what's happening is, the civil rights argument that the gay
community has put forward is not resonating with the public, so now they're
putting forward a different message," Smith said.

The meeting at Jesus MCC drew some conservatives. During a public comment
period, Pastor Mike Kreps of Resurrection Outreach Community Church in
Indianapolis stood up.

"I believe homosexuality is a sin," Kreps said, citing passages from
Leviticus, Romans and other biblical books. Afterward, he and Love held a
lengthy, courteous discussion of their opposing views.

The Rev. Jeff Miner, pastor of Jesus MCC, wants more such dialogues, but
acknowledged the challenge his community faces.

"It isn't easy to get evangelical Christians into our house," Miner said.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/nation/15038285.htm

Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unsubscribe :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]