http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/22/AR2006082200975.html?referrer=email&referrer=email&referrer=email

Al-Jazeera's Tricky Balancing Act

By David Ignatius
Wednesday, August 23, 2006; Page A15

DOHA, Qatar -- What do people in the Middle East think five years after the
Sept. 11, 2001, attacks? To get a quick snapshot, I paid a visit here to Ahmed
Sheikh, the editor in chief of al-Jazeera television. It was reassuring, in a
perverse way, that he views the situation in his region the same way that most
Americans would -- as a dangerous mess.

Sheikh told me he had been mulling this week how al-Jazeera should cover the
Sept. 11 anniversary. "Five years after that catastrophe, the Arab world is
much more divided than it used to be," he reflected. "The image of Islam has
been tarnished to a great extent. We are weaker than we used to be against
Israel. Development is absent." When he stands back and looks at the region,
Sheikh says, "All the threads and problems are intertwined. It's very difficult
to trace where they begin and end."

Sheikh fears that Iraq is headed toward a calamitous civil war that will spill
over to other countries with mixed Shiite-Sunni populations, such as Kuwait,
Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. "If the Americans can prevent civil war from
happening, their presence would be useful," he says. But after three years of
American failure to stabilize the country, he is doubtful.

The al-Jazeera editor remains militant about Arab causes. "What doesn't change
for our viewers is indignation against U.S. and Israeli policies," he says. But
with the exception of the Palestinian struggle and the Iraqi resistance to
American occupation, he says, most of the so-called jihadist battles have
actually produced what the Arabs call fitna , or self-destructive internal
strife.

Sheikh works out of a small office just off the main newsroom. He joined
al-Jazeera when it was founded in 1996 after working for the BBC and other TV
news channels. Dressed in shirtsleeves, just back from the morning story
conference with his editors, he looks a bit like an Arab version of Lou Grant.

Al-Jazeera has been attacked by American officials as a propaganda tool for
Osama bin Laden and other Muslim radicals. And as a journalist, I have often
found its coverage unbalanced. It tries too hard to present the Arab news,
rather than just the news. That said, I was struck, in talking to Sheikh, by
how complicated it has become for al-Jazeera to cover this part of the world.

Take coverage of Iran. Al-Jazeera recently reopened its bureau there after it
was closed by the Iranian authorities for 18 months. The network's crime was
that it had sent a camera crew into southwestern Iran and reported complaints
of the Arab minority there that they were treated unfairly by the central
government. After the broadcast aired, there were protests and civil unrest in
the region -- and the Iranians decided to pull the plug.

Iraq poses a worse problem. Because al-Jazeera reported from behind the lines
of the Sunni insurgency, Iraqi Shiites became indignant about its coverage. The
network was expelled by the Shiite-led government in September 2004, but Sheikh
says he would be reluctant to go back now. Relations with the U.S. military are
better, but because of Shiite anger, it would be "very, very dangerous" for
al-Jazeera.

"People say we are the channel of the insurgents. It's not true. We are the
channel of everybody. We are critical and balanced. That is what a journalist
is supposed to do -- not drum the official point of view but criticize, try to
evaluate."

Syria and Lebanon also pose tricky problems for an Arab satellite network.
After al-Jazeera broadcast an exclusive, hour-long interview with Hasan
Nasrallah, leader of the Shiite militia Hezbollah, it was attacked by Sunni
militants known as "Salafists" (who back al-Qaeda and consider the Shiites
apostates). And after Syrian President Bashar al-Assad denounced other Arab
leaders as "half men" for failing to support Hezbollah against Israel, Sheikh
says it was hard to find a balanced on-air commentator.

I've been a proponent of al-Jazeera, despite its tendency to spin coverage,
because it was the first step toward real broadcast journalism in the Arab
world, as opposed to the old state-run propaganda channels. And my conversation
with Sheikh reinforces that conviction. After 10 years, al-Jazeera is
confronting one of the abiding truths of honest journalism: that the world is
damned complicated, and that it's very hard to know who the good guys and bad
guys are. That's a start. If we can have common standards for covering the news
in the Middle East, maybe we can eventually do something to fix the problems we
all agree are there.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Post message: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subscribe   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]