Refleksi: Kalau tidak keliru, pada waktu transisi kekuasaan dari Suharto ke
Habibie, diberitakan bahwa dikirim menteri keuangan Indonesia dan seorang
pembantu lagi ke Swis,  mungkin maksud mereka ke sana ialah supaya hasil panen
korupsi disimpan baik-baik,  apa hasil laporan kunjungan delegasi tsb kesna
agaknya tak ada berita lengkap disebabkan  media di Indonesia kurang teliti
melakukan follow-up sesuatu masalah sampai selesai.

Dengan adanya penandatangan "konvensi"  StAR oleh Swis, barangkali juga ada
yang berhasrat mencari tahu kebenaran berita yang digembar gemborkan pada masa
jaya Suharto bahwa  sejumlah milyar dollar dana revolus Indonesiai disimpan
oleh Subandrio, menteri luarnegeri RI di bank Swis. Jika benar kemana dana
tsb.ada berarti  rejeki nomplok jatuh dari loteng dan sangat berguna apabila
duit-duit ini dapat diambil dan dipergunakan sebaik-baiknya untuk kemakmuran
rakyat, cuma saja bahaya halangan yang pasti dihadapi ialah kebanyakan dari
mereka yang namanya  wakil-wakil rakyat  adalah orang-orang  rakus bin tukang
copet. Jadi uang yang ditarik kembali  bisa berpindah tangan dan kantong
kepemilikan yang tidak benar lagi.

Swiss join UN's dirty cash battle

Switzerland has become the first country to sign up to a global initiative to
recover money looted by corrupt government leaders.
The joint UN-World Bank scheme aims to foster relations between developed and
developing nations to ensure assets are returned to their rightful owners.

The World Bank says the campaign is a warning to corrupt leaders everywhere.

Switzerland has, so far, been famous for its secretive banks and a relaxed
attitude to dirty money, observers say.

Clear message

Swiss banks provided a cosy home for $500m (£249m) looted by former Philippines
dictator Ferdinand Marcos, says the BBC's Imogen Foulkes in Berne.

When the Philippines gained a democratic government, it took 18 years to
retrieve that money.

Nigeria's former leader Sani Abacha also held $700m (£348m) in Swiss banks.

     Switzerland is probably the worst place in the world now for anybody who
wants to stack illegal money in a hidden bank account
      Paul Seger
      Swiss foreign ministry

The new initiative aims to make it easier for developing countries to recover
money they often need badly.

By joining the campaign so quickly, Switzerland is keen to send the message
that looted assets will not find a home there any longer, says Paul Seger, head
of international public law at the Swiss foreign ministry.

"We do not want our financial centre being used by illegal money, and we have
really developed quite an extensive framework to prevent such money from coming
into Switzerland," he said.

"If it comes to restitute this money as quickly as possible - we have returned
in the past years $1.6bn (£795m), which is far more than any other financial
place in Europe or elsewhere."

'Fighting a cliche'

Mr Seger says the image of Swiss banks as easy places to hide cash will be hard
to shake, despite new laws against money laundering.

"If you look at the last James Bond movie, or Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code,
there's always the mean Swiss bankers who hide all this money," he said.

"So we are fighting against a cliche but I think, really, we are fighting it
successfully.

"Dictators who have put their money into Swiss bank accounts illegally will now
think twice whether they will still do that in the future.

"I would say now that Switzerland is probably the worst place in the world now
for anybody who wants to stack illegal money in a hidden bank account."

Switzerland, which once insisted that its banks could do no wrong, has now
promised to provide support and expertise to an international campaign to make
sure looted assets do not disappear for good, our correspondent says.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/europe/7005814.stm

Published: 2007/09/21 07:27:10 GMT

© BBC MMVII