http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article96126.ece

Ramadan signals boom time for beggars
By RIMA AL-MUKHTAR | ARAB NEWS

Published: Aug 5, 2010 23:02 Updated: Aug 5, 2010 23:02

JEDDAH: Ramadan is the month when people try to do good deeds, including giving
in charity.

However, some people distribute alms the wrong way by giving to beggars instead
of registered charities, something that causes a surge in people begging on the
streets during the holy month.

"Begging is like a business for us because we rely on it to earn a living. It's
like a full time job for most of us. We sometimes move from one place to
another looking for people to give us money," said Fatima, a Somali beggar.

"Ramadan is a month in which we make more money than any other month. I
sometimes make less than a SR100 in a month, but in Ramadan I can easily make
over SR5,000," she said.

"People don't just give us money, they also give us food and clothes in Ramadan
which is all good because we can sell this to each other," said Sofia, another
beggar. "We can easily get people's sympathy in Ramadan because it's a month of
giving and feeling sorry for the poor," she added.

Many people loathe seeing beggars in streets and in shopping centers and wonder
how they could make them go away. "I hate how beggars run around us and show
their disabilities, especially in Ramadan. I don't know where they come from.
Their numbers increase in Ramadan," said Lamia Al-Salhi.

"I don't feel safe when they are around. I fear they will steal my purse or
kidnap my child when I'm out shopping. I wonder what the authorities are doing
to combat begging because we always read what they are doing in the newspapers
but never see any progress on the ground," she added.

According to a source at the government office that combats beggars, members of
the public should not give to beggars as that encourages people to ask for
money. The source added that if anyone wants to give money then they should
donate to charities, which will then donate to those in need.

"Ramadan has become the month of begging because many people prefer giving away
clothes, food and money to the poor during this month. But what happens is that
people simply look for the nearest beggar. This is wrong," said the source.

"Begging is not something that is modern. People and the government should work
together to limit it. As for citizens, we ask them not to deal with beggars and
as far as we're concerned, we try our best to catch them and deal with them
according to the Kingdom's rules," he added.