Refleksi : Apakah NKRI belum mengakui kemerdekaan Kosovo? Bila belum apa
alasannya?

ttp://main.omanobserver.om/node/18881

The long road to trust, reconciliation in Kosovo
Sun, 08 August 2010
Kosovo Albanians, their confidence boosted by a UN court opinion backing
independence, want to reach out to the territory's Serb minority but ingrained
distrust is hampering efforts at reconciliation. "Without reconciliation ... we
will not be able to improve our lives as citizens and people who want clear
perspectives for themselves and their children," said Veton Nurkollari, the
Kosovo Albanian organiser of Doku Fest, an international documentary film
festival, aiming to use culture to bridge differences.

"There is a need for reconciliation, an urgency even," he said. Nearly 95 per
cent of Kosovo's population of two million are ethnic Albanians, who feel
empowered by the recent International Court of Justice's verdict that its
unilateral declaration of independence from Serbia in February 2008 - opposed
by Belgrade - was not illegal. The UN high court's non-binding opinion was
followed by urgent calls to both Albanians and Serbs to turn a new page and
start a constructive dialogue. However, overcoming a long divisive history is
no easy task.

Kosovo's ethnic Albanian and Serb communities have lived isolated from each
other for decades. Tensions came to a head during the 1998-1999 conflict that
pitted Albanian separatists against the forces of Serb strongman Slobodan
Milosevic. The war left some 13,000 people dead, mostly ethnic Albanians.

For Jetmir Idrizi, 26, a Kosovo Albanian photographer, reconciliation should
start with bringing to justice "all those, Serbs and Albanians" responsible for
crimes committed during the conflict."It will be better if we reach an
understanding amongst ourselves, without foreign interference," he said,
sipping a tea on the terrace of a Turkish-style tea house in the old centre of
the town of Prizren. Another Albanian, Genc Salihu, 29, said economic
development is the key to overcoming the past.

Easing of tensions
"We need a 700-euro ($900) monthly income per person to become closer; money is
needed to overcome fear," said Salihu as he enjoyed a jazz-filled afternoon in
a bookstore-cafe in the capital Pristina. At the moment the average monthly
salary in Kosovo is just under 200 euros.
In Gracanica, a major Serb-populated enclave near the capital, there was a
notable easing of tensions as Serbs appeared open for reconciliation as long as
their community in Kosovo could be preserved.
"Without recognising their state, it is necessary to find an understanding with
the Albanians, for us to be able to remain on our land here," 24-year-old Serb
farmer Miloje Glisovic said. But in the north of Kosovo, the area bordering
Serbia proper and populated by a Serb majority, the tone is less conciliatory.
Sasa, 38, an employee of a non-government organisation who did not give his
last name, dismisses the idea of living together in harmony as implausible. He
cited as an example that 45,000 Serbs used to live in Pristina. "Now there are
no more than 68," he said - a figure that Kosovo Albanian observers agreed
sounded about right.

More than 200,000 Serbs fled Kosovo after the territory was placed under UN
administration in June 1999 following a Nato bombing campaign that drove out
Milosevic's Serb forces. They were afraid of reprisal attacks by Albanian
extremists.

"The international community insists nowadays on a development of one
community, the Albanian one," insisted Sasa, who lives in the Serb-populated
northern part of ethnically divided Kosovska Mitrovica. He warned that "it
would be necessary first to work equally on the development of both communities
and then talk about reconciliation."

Milan Ivanovic, one of the hardline Serb leaders in Mitrovica, insisted: "There
cannot be reconciliation if I take all you have and demand, after I rob you, to
reconcile with me."

Kosovo's independence has been recognised by 69 countries, including the United
States and most members of the European Union. But Serbia and its ally Russia
remain opposed to the separation and Belgrade has tabled a draft resolution in
the UN General Assembly that calls for new negotiations on Kosovo to find a
mutually acceptable solution, but does not insist on status talks.