http://www.theage.com.au/world/billionaire-puts-109m-towards-human-rights-20100907-14zhj.html

Billionaire puts $109m towards human rights
New York
September 8, 2010
GEORGE Soros, the billionaire investor and philanthropist, is giving $US100
million ($A109 million) to Human Rights Watch to expand the organisation's work
globally.

Mr Soros said the gift to the New York-based organisation, which investigates
and draws attention to human rights abuses around the world, was the first in a
series of large gifts that he planned to make.

It is the largest gift he has made, the largest that Human Rights Watch has
ever received, and only the second gift of $US100 million or more made by an
individual in the US this year, according to the Centre on Philanthropy at
Indiana University.

Mr Soros, who celebrated his 80th birthday last month, said: ''Originally I
wanted to distribute all of the money during my lifetime, but I have abandoned
that plan. My foundation should continue, but I still would like to do a lot of
giving during my lifetime, and doing it this way, with such size, is a step in
that direction.''

NEW YORK TIMES