http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11681837

3 November 2010 Last updated at 12:48 GMT
Iran stoning woman not executed, France says
 Ms Ashtiani's case has sparked an international outcry
Continue reading the main story

 An Iranian woman sentenced to death by stoning for adultery has not yet been
executed, says French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner.
A rights group had said Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani could face the death penalty
as early as Wednesday.

Mr Kouchner said Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki told him no
verdict in her case had been reached.

In September, Iran said her stoning sentence had been suspended but she could
still be hanged for murder.

Ms Ashtiani was originally convicted of adultery several years ago and
sentenced to death by stoning.

Her case rose to international prominence and in July reports emerged that she
had been sentenced to death for the murder of her husband.

'Cease repression'
"Manouchehr Mottaki assured me that Iranian legal authorities had not yet
reached a verdict in the affair relating to [Ms Ashtiani] and that the
information regarding her alleged execution did not correspond to reality," Mr
Kouchner said in a statement.

A rights group campaigning to free Ms Ashtiani earlier said that "authorities
in Tehran have given the go-ahead to Tabriz prison" to execute her, possibly on
Wednesday or soon after.

The International Committee Against Stoning then said that Ms Ashtiani had not
been executed on Wednesday because of the global protests the news aroused.

A number of countries, including France, the US, the UK and Canada, had
condemned her possible execution.

"We call on the Iranian authorities to respect basic human rights, cease their
policy of repression and intimidation and release those who are currently being
held without justification," said Mr Kouchner after his telephone call with Mr
Mottaki.

The president of the European Parliament, Jerzy Buzek, said if the news of the
postponement of Ms Ashtiani's execution were confirmed, "it would be a step in
the right direction".

"The Iranian authorities should now use this occasion to review Ms Ashtiani's
case in a fair and transparent trial," he said in a statement.

An Iranian foreign ministry spokesman accused the West of trying to exert undue
pressure on his country.

"They have become so shameless that they have turned the case of Sakineh
Mohammadi Ashtiani, who has committed crime and treason into a human rights
case against our nation," said Ramin Mehmanparast.

"It has become a symbol of women's freedom in Western nations and with
impudence they want to free her. Thus, they are trying to use this ordinary
case as a pressure lever against our nation," he was quoted as saying by Iran's
ISNA news agency, according to AFP.

Related stories
  a.. Iran's dilemma over stoning
  b.. Iran's grim history of death by stoning
  c.. Country profile: Iran