http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/sri-mulyani-denounces-indonesian-corruption-from-world-bank-post/406039

Sri Mulyani Denounces Indonesian Corruption From World Bank Post

Angela Dewan | November 11, 2010

Sri Mulyani Indrawati, the former Indonesian finance minister and now a World
Bank managing director, speaking at the International Anti-Corruption
Conference in Bangkok on Wednesday. (JG Photo/Angela Dewan)

Bangkok. From her prestigious new position as a World Bank managing director,
Sri Mulyani Indrawati has taken another stab at old enemies, without naming
names, an art she mastered after her ousting as Indonesia's finance minister in
May.

"Corruption remains intertwined with politics, and there are brazen attacks on
those fighting corruption," she said at the 14th International Anti-Corruption
Conference in Bangkok on Wednesday.

Sri Mulyani's comments echo those she made in May, when she said particular
forces were "hijacking" economic reform in Indonesia - comments believed to be
directed at business tycoon and Golkar Party chairman Aburizal Bakrie, who
opposed many of her reformist policies.

Having lost her post as finance minister after a House of Representatives
special committee found her Rp 6.7 trillion ($757 million) bailout of Bank
Century in 2008 was illegal, Sri Mulyani appears to be enjoying the extra leg
room she has been granted at the World Bank, delivering a frank speech on
corruption, pointing to Indonesia without hesitation.

"Sometimes corruption comes in the form of counterfeit drugs, so people don't
get better, or they die," she said.

"Sometimes corruption is a building that collapses in the face of a natural
disaster, because the quality inspector took a payment from the construction
contractor to falsify an inspection. Corruption can kill."

She listed the World Bank's achievements in improving transparency and fighting
corruption, including the six-year disbarment of publisher Macmillan for paying
a bribe to try and win a World Bank contract in Africa.

She proved confident in her position when an audience member accused her of
touting her personal views rather than those of the institution.

"My own personal ethical values and the bank's ethical values should match,"
she said.

"In this case, I'm not going to entertain that I have my own personal values
that are distant from the bank's. If the bank had a policy that did not reflect
the view of anticorruption or good governance, it is the job of the management,
including myself, to correct it."

While Sri Mulyani has reason enough to distrust the Indonesian government's
commitment to tackling corruption, she remains optimistic that progress has
been made since 15 years ago, when "the C-word was barely whispered, if at all
mentioned."

"Corruption is an issue we know politicians can't ignore now in Indonesia, and
the KPK, our anticorruption commission, has made huge progress, despite the
difficulties they are facing," she said.

Sri Mulyani's continued commentary on corruption and politics in Indonesia has
observers speculating that she may be planning a return to politics and even a
run for president in 2014.

But she said, "I am just concentrating on my role at the World Bank at the
moment.

"Of course, the World Bank has many projects in Indonesia, just like in other
countries, so it can help Indonesia achieve its national development goals."

Speculation about Sri Mulyani's possible return to politics was sparked when
the Alliance for Democracy Education launched a Web site in her honor last
month.

It carried a picture of Sri Mulyani along with the slogan "I'll Be Back," but
the NGO says the site was only created to improve public awareness of ethics.

The United Development Party (PPP) has already said it would support Sri
Mulyani should she run for president, and if she ends up going head-to-head
with Bakrie, she will likely find international support from investors.

But Sri Mulyani has given no clue about whether she wants to return to
Indonesia or keep working on a global scale.