http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\11\13\story_13-11-2010_pg7_39

Saturday, November 13, 2010

'Naked' scanners at US airports may be dangerous: scientists

WASHINGTON: US scientists warned on Friday that the full-body, graphic-image
X-ray scanners that are being used to screen passengers and airline crews at
airports around the country may be unsafe.

"They say the risk is minimal, but statistically someone is going to get skin
cancer from these X-rays," Dr Michael Love, who runs an X-ray lab at the
department of biophysics and biophysical chemistry at Johns Hopkins University
School of Medicine, said. "No exposure to X-ray is considered beneficial. We
know X-rays are hazardous but we have a situation at the airports where people
are so eager to fly that they will risk their lives in this manner," he said.

The possible health dangers posed by the scanners add to passengers and airline
crews' concerns about the devices, which have been dubbed "naked" scanners
because of the graphic image they give of a person's body, genitalia and all.
afp