Nih  satu  lagi berita dari Arab News..

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article44678.ece?service=print

Arab news
Many elderly people turn to begging

By BADEA ABU AL-NAJA | ARAB NEWS

Published: Apr 18, 2010 22:15 Updated: Apr 18, 2010 22:15

MAKKAH: A number of old people in Makkah who find themselves without sources of
income are begging for money near the city's gas stations and mosques to make
ends meet.

"Poverty and the responsibility of maintaining our families have forced us to
resort to extreme measures. This is especially the case since we are not
government employees and do not receive pensions," said one elderly man who
asked for his name not to be published.

"There is a growing tendency to see old men and women at mosques and petrol
stations extending their hands for money in order to simply live," said a
social worker.

"The authorities need to act quickly and do something before this becomes a
widespread problem," he added.

Many of the elderly beggars receive monthly stipends from the Ministry of
Social Affairs but say the amount of money they receive is not enough. "What we
receive from the ministry barely covers our house rent," said 66-year-old
Muhammad Bakhsh.

"I have a family of seven who I have to provide for," said the former mutawwif
(or pilgrim's guide). "I've spent over 40 years of my life guiding pilgrims
around the Grand Mosque but my old age and sickness forced me to stop."

Over passage of time, his financial condition worsened and he was left unable
to provide for his family. "Because of the worsening financial condition, two
of my sons who were in their 20s left home and I've not heard from them since,"
he added. Bakhsh receives SR1,000 in social security each month.

"The whole amount goes toward my rent and because of this I'm forced to look
for alternative sources of income. I'm old and sick and there's nothing much
else I can do but beg," he added.

In addition to his old age, Bakhsh also suffers from high blood pressure,
diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

"I usually beg in the evenings. I go to the mosque and after prayer I sit near
the entrance showing worshippers my family card and medical documents proving
how sick I am. Some people are kind enough to give me a helping hand," he said.
Bakhsh says this is his only way to support his family and continue living. "It
pains me a lot that I have to stick my hand out and beg. I've had to hide my
face many times so people wouldn't recognize me. This is simply humiliating but
we have no other choice," he said.

Arab News learned of an elderly couple who live in an old microbus that they
have parked close to a gas station along the Haramain Expressway in Makkah. "I
don't believe in the press and don't want to speak to you," said the man when
approached.

Speaking to local people, Arab News learned that the man, a former government
employee who was fired from his job, is 60-year-old. Nobody would say why he
was sacked. He, however, has nothing else left to do but beg. His wife is
mentally ill and depressed and quarrels with people who approach her even
though they may be coming to offer alms.

"Her husband takes her for a drive around Makkah and when she feels better they
return," said a local worker.

"Many people know about them and offer them money without them even asking," he
said. One resident said this is a problem that needs to be dealt with. "We need
to do something about it. It has to be contained before it snowballs," he added.

© 2010 Arab News