http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=200895

Abbas expresses hope for Palestinian state by next year
By ASSOCIATED PRESS AND JPOST.COM STAFF
12/25/2010 00:51

During Bethlehem speech to mark Christmas PA president says "we are seekers of
peace in the path of Jesus."

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said Friday that he hopes a
Palestinian state will be established next year.

Abbas, who traveled to Bethlehem to greet Christmas revelers in the West Bank
city, said "we are seekers of peace in the path of Jesus."

RELATED:
Abbas: We reached deal with Olmert on security
Washington Watch: Settlements are excuse, not obstacle

"We hope that next year will be a year of peace by establishing the independent
Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital, living side by side with
Israel in peace and security," he added.

The traditional birthplace of Jesus celebrated its merriest Christmas in years,
as tens of thousands of tourists thronged the West Bank town for the annual
holiday festivities.

Officials said the turnout was shaping up to be the largest since 2000.
Unseasonably mild weather, a virtual halt in Israeli-Palestinian violence and a
burgeoning economic revival in the West Bank all added to the holiday cheer.

By nightfall, a packed Manger Square was awash in red, blue, green and yellow
Christmas lights.

Merrymakers blasted horns, bands sang traditional Christmas carols in Arabic,
boy scout marching bands performed and Palestinian policemen deployed around
the town to keep the peace.

A group of 30 tourists from Papua New Guinea, all wearing red Santa hats,
walked around the nearby Church of the Nativity, built on the site where
tradition holds Jesus was born. Both church officials and the Palestinian
president voiced hopes for peace.